John 14:5 and 16:5. Jesus, Thomas and the Apostles questioning Him

Hello,
What was Jesus saying when he said: “No one asks me: Where are you going?”

Because the following passage seems to show that Thomas at least asked in some sense how they should where He is going.

4 ¶ So that ye know where I go, and ye know the way.
5 Thomas said unto him, Lord, we know not where thou goest; how, therefore, can we know the way?
6 Jesus said unto him, I AM the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes unto the Father, but by me.
7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also; and from now on ye know him and have seen him.

And still, Jesus says

4 But I have told you these things that when that hour shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And I did not say these things unto you at the beginning because I was with you.
5 But now I go unto him that sent me, and none of you asks me, Where goest thou?
6 But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow has filled your heart.

Was Jesus being too literal with the form of the question? :stuck_out_tongue: I guess not.

i think the key word in that sentence is now.

Why would this make a difference? I don’t see any. He is talking about his departure. Thank you :slight_smile:

My mother told me,
Till a decade or so ago, whenever you saw something, you would ask what it was.
But now you are not asking that.

Did this help?

If you point to a change in the understanding of the Apostles no, I am sorry, it doesn’t help to understand that Thomas says

how could we know the way since we don’t know where you’re going and Jesus saying no one is asking.
But, I guess the point of the first paragraph here was to say

1. we don’t know the way, 2) anywhere you are going (and this too we don’t know), where Jesus is says no one is asking 2).

i was not pointing a change in the understanding of apostles.

he just said, you are not asking now. now. now.

he did not say you never asked.

Why should they at that moment? And more importantly, since Jesus was continually saying he was going to the Father.

that is only when you can use the word now.

now=at the present

time or moment

You don’t get me. My question was why should they ask at that moment and not before? Moreover, Jesus is talking about his departure all the time in the chapter.

But Thomas didn’t ask where does Jesus go, he asked how can they know? And then Jesus tell them. So why should they ask after this?

About your previous post, I had understood that your mother told you that you do not ask anymore, because you have more understanding than you had as a kid.

I dont know how to say this in another way. That is only when you can use the word now.

But Thomas didn’t ask where does Jesus go, he asked how can they know? And then Jesus tell them. So why should they ask after this?

so your question is not why did Jesus say that they were not asking then, but why the disciples should ask?

About your previous post, I had understood that your mother told you that you do not ask anymore, because you have more understanding than you had as a kid.

This is correct, but i did not post that to let you know that i have more understanding (now that i am 14 than when i was 4). I wanted to give you an example of using the word now, in a way that would reference a past event.

I wasn’t picking on the word now. It’s ok :slight_smile:
It seems they cannot formulate a single question, but have many. But Thomes formulated the fact that they can’t know. And then Jesus he s the way to the Father. So he goes to the Father. Why should they ask? They don’t get it, but they are told they would.

Who told you that they should ask?

I understand the Jesus’ statement that no one does ask is implicitly asking they should.

I rather think it is because of the word now.

I may agree with you, but you should explain why is this word so important. Why is it important that they ask now?
I think it is important that they know before he goes away, but it can be before or shortly after, as long as He is there to reply.
So tell me, why is *now *important?

Eg,

You are not typing now.

You did type in this thread many times, but not now.

Yago, I am sorry, but i will say it again: I know what the word now means, and I know how it affects statements. I am currently studying grammar to teach it, so :D. But the problem is the context. I have shown that Thomas has doubts before this passage, and Jesus explains Who the way is. **Then **later, Jesus says that nobody asks then.

My question is simply why is it so important to ask at that moment?

:whacky:

:slight_smile:

:smiley: Maybe, but it still bothers me to have Jesus saying “Well, I am going and no one asks where to”, when Thomas pointed out they don’t know, and Jesus explained He is the way to the Fahter, and He goes to the Father. SInce He said I go to the Father, why should anyone ask after that explanation?
Or, is it rhetorical?

You have answered your own question. later, Jesus said nobody asks then.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.