John 16:12

** 12"I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13"But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.…**

Do we know what Jesus wanted more to say to us that he said u cant bear them now?

Or did he tell the apostles at a later stage what he wanted to say?

Or does it mean the teachings of the church through the years?

I think it could be a little of both.

My thoughts are that the Apostles could not bear the news of Christ’s upcoming passion.

But you could be right about Christ teaching them other things after his resurrection or the Holy Spirit guiding the Church through time…

[quote="Paul_theApostle, post:1, topic:335081"]
** 12"I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13"But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.…**

Do we know what Jesus wanted more to say to us that he said u cant bear them now?

[/quote]

I believe that means the development of doctrine. If he started to tell them about the Immaculate Conception back then it would have been difficult for them to understand. Also, the Assumption of Mary. As time passes more insights are given about the mysteries of our faith.

St. Thomas Aquinas says in his Commentary on the Gospel of St. John that the Disciples did not yet have full understanding of the Scriptures, while they received it later as in Luke 24:45: "Then he enlightened their minds, to make them understand the scriptures." Also they did not know the pains and troubles they would go through, after all everyone but St. John died as a martyr. The passage also demonstrates that the Holy Spirit is not greater than Christ, as He will not speak from Himself, but rather by the power of the two other Divine Persons.

Commentary on the Gospel of St. John (from par. 2101 and 2103 respectively):

Again, the disciples did not then have a spiritual understanding of all the scriptures, but did only when "He opened their minds to understand the scriptures" (Lk 24:45). Also, the disciples did not then have a full understanding of the sufferings and dangers they were to undergo ‑ they could not bear such knowledge then as their spirits were weak: "Put your shoulder under her and carry her" (Sir 6:25). For these reasons the disciples were in need of further instruction.

If the Holy Spirit will teach them, it seems that he is greater than Christ. This is not true, because the Spirit will teach them by the power of the Father and the Son, for he will not speak from himself, but from me, because he will be from me. Just as the Son does not act from himself but from the Father, so the Holy Spirit, because he is from another, that is, from the Father and the Son, will not speak from himself, but whatever he will hear by receiving knowledge as well as his essence from eternity, he will speak, not in a bodily way but by enlightening your minds from within: "I will bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her" (Hos 2:14); "Let me hear what God the Lord will speak" (Ps 85:8).

[quote="Paul_theApostle, post:1, topic:335081"]

[/quote]

Wasn't the reason God allowed a wife and concubines because they kinda were not able to bear the truth that they couldn't have them?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.