John 20-23

So I was evangelizing to someone the other day, and the question of why do you confess your sins to a priest popped up. So I sited John 20-23 and went into a very good explanation of why we do so. How ever he stated that in his Bible it is different, instead of it saying “Whose soever sins ye remit they are remitted and whose soever sins ye retain they are retain.” So my question is how do I evangelize to this person who is using a Bible that changes the verses meaning?

I don’t see the problem. If what you quoted above comes from your friends Bible, it means exactly what it does in Catholic Bibles: That Jesus gave his Apostles and their successors the power to forgive sins or hold people bound.

My knowledge on the word remit was apparently not what I thought it was. Upon investigation of what remit actually means I have found you are correct.

You pray for him. Daily. For years if need be. Words do not convince. Jesus Himself could not convince others to believe. Are we better evangelists than our Lord? :eek:

Pray, hope and don’t worry. Let the Holy Spirit do the heavy lifting. When the time is right - it could be years from now - his heart will be open to the truth. The Holy Spirit works in such mysterious ways.

Hi, Victor!

…it is close to impossible to convince others of anything they do not want to accept; when it comes to Scriptures it is more an impossibility than a snow ball’s prayer, in hell…

However, with Love and patience, you may sow the seed that might allow that person to fully embrace the Faith.

…the following two passages might help, if the issue pops up again:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all iniquity. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

(1 St. John 1:8-10)

14 Is any man sick among you? Let him bring in the priests of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick man: and the Lord shall raise him up: and if he be in sins, they shall be forgiven him. 16 Confess therefore your sins one to another: and pray one for another, that you may be saved. For the continual prayer of a just man availeth much. (St. James 5:14-16)
Hope this helps!

Merry Christmas!
Maran atha!

Angel
[/size][/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.