John 20:7 and the Turin shroud

John 20:7 KJV And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

If the Shroud of Turin is really that of Jesus, surely it should lack the image of his head?

as I understand it, and it is discussed in detail on the many previous threads on the Shroud, the Shroud was a long strip of linen woven in a single piece, more than double the length of a man’s body, so the body was laid on it, the strip folded over his head and over the front of the body, then tucked around the sides. The head cloth was wrapped around the head either before or after this, I’m not sure. If the resurrection is the even that left the image on the Shroud, which supporters claim was produced by some type of radiation, the image would equally be on the head piece, and they would correspond, because they would have been produced at the same time. In other words, the images were not made as impression against the body or face, like a screen print or rubber stamp but more as an xray is produced, where the film or plate does not touch the body.

There was an interesting Channel 4 (UK) documentary on the shroud this easter. Besides showing hiow the radiocarbon test that indicated it being from the Middle Ages could have been faulty. (Tested an area of cloth much manhandled in the Middle Ages and after). It showed interesting features on the cloth (weave and style of stitching) only known from the 1st century.

The programme also identified a cloth in Spain of the same material and known to date from before the 5th century, with a history of being in palestine before then, that is known as the head covering of Jesus. It contains blood and sweat but no image.

I saw it. It was fascinating.

There was something similar here in the states a few years ago, though I do not recall they spoke about the Spain cloth. With respect to the shroud test; one scientist suggested that the fire that occured in the 12th century (I’m gussing from memory) could have been the cause for a false reading, but that there were found some types of pollen found on the shroud that were found only in the middle east.

This site says it better than I.
newgeology.us/presentation24.html

Thanks for the answers here … it helped!

:cool:

My understanding is that the headcloth was only for the head… then the body shroud was used over the entire body…

The significance of the headcloth being tossed in a place by itself leaves the impression that Christ removed the cloth himself (raising out of the shroud… then pulling the facecloth off and tossing it aside)… as opposed to grave robbers who wouldn’t necessarily have intentionally tossed the facecloth aside…

Anyone else with this understanding?

The Shroud of Turin is a real artifact, as is the Sudarium of Oviedo, which is the other cloth mentioned in John 20:7…there are lots of current researches available in print and online, just use your favorite search engine. In short, the sudarium was used to cover the face/head of Jesus on the way to the tomb, where the sudarium was removed and set aside. The body was then laid on the shroud, and the other end of the shroud folded over the front of the body. NOTE: do not believe the erroneous 1988 C14 dating debacle…since then, it has been discovered that the process was improperly carried out (unintentionally) and actually tested a carefully rewoven patch that had been applied exactly at the date returned by the 1988 test. Point being, that the Shroud of Turin is in fact exactly what it appears to be: the actual burial cloth of Jesus of Nazareth.

Faith/belief in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ does not depend on physical evidence such as the Shroud and Sudarium, but for those whose faith is strengthened by it, or may need reinforcement, you can rest assured that concrete proof of the resurrection is in fact contained on these two truly sacred relics.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.