John 6:41-69

I’m sure you folks have discussed this passage on many occasions.

Would someone be so kind as to give me a reference thread on it, or even quickly summarize the talking points that the protestants use on this particular passage against the Eucharist.

Thank you for your time.

Err… but how in the first place is it possible to argue against the Eucharist from this passage?

The only argument that I have heard is verse 63:

It is the spirit that gives life, while the flesh is of no avail. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life. (NAB)

If you look at this verse alone all you need is the spirit and the words of Jesus, flesh means nothing.

Personally, I think that using this verse as an argument against the Eucharist discredits what Jesus talks about in the rest of the passage.

Well in that case its just random quoting that doesn’t even need secular standards of keeping to the context.

Also, in THIS verse Jesus says “the” flesh. in the rest of the Bread of Live discourse is about “my flesh.”

This was a pretty good thread.

This was an awesome thread:

Why did He let them walk away?

You’ll get all the talking points you could possibly ask for.

If you want to have a bit of fun (but with a serious purpose), simply ask the obvious question. Did Jesus’ flesh profit really nothing? You’ll see back-pedalling like you’ve never seen in your life. :slight_smile:

BTW, the correct understanding of “the flesh profits nothing” can be found by a parallel construction in Matt 16:16-17:

Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.

Hey, learn from the best. Check out that thread I linked to. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.