John 6:44

I’ve often see Calvinists use John 6:44 to support reformed theology:
[BIBLEDRB]John 6:44[/BIBLEDRB]
Now, I have three questions about this:

1. According to the Greek grammar, who is the second “him” that will be raised on the last day? The ones whom the Father draws, or the ones who come to Christ?
  2. Regardless of how 1) is answered, how are we to reconcile this with the idea that somebody can lose their salvation?
  3. If the answer to 1) is that those whom the Father draws will be raised up on the last day, how is this not reformed theology?

Wasn’t this already discussed in your February thread?

The Father can draw us but we are free to walk away.

When God predestines he does not force. The conditions are set up so that it is possible for us to be saved, or even likely that we will be saved. We are free to ignore it all.

Jesus answered them, "Did I not choose you, the twelve, and one of you is a devil?" He spoke of Judas the son of Simon Iscariot, for he, one of the twelve, was to betray him. (John 6:70-71)

We are free to walk away.

-Tim-

I don’t think I got an answer to question 1 on this thread so I made another thread soecifically about verse 44 so it can be answered.

EDIT: Oh sorry, you did answer question 1 in that thread. Sorry 'bout that.

The “no one”, the “him” drawn by the Father, and the “him” raised on the last day are not in any way differentiated by the text: there is no reason to believe that they are not all the same person.

1. Regardless of how 1) is answered, how are we to reconcile this with the idea that somebody can lose their salvation?

The Father draws them, they come to Christ, they abandon Christ, and Jesus does not then welcome them on the last day. There is nothing in that passage which says that anyone who comes to Christ must stay there. In John 10:29, we read that no one is able to take them away from God, but not that they cannot walk away of their own free will.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.