John 6 study

I used to look at John six and feel perplexed. Trying to find out wheather Jesus was talking about Eucharist or the Word of God. Lately, I’ve read some things that see both in the message. It gave me comfort. I have always considered and believed the view that Jesus, being the Word made flesh, should not be seperated when adoring the Eucharist. But the whole debate of what the Sacrament means to Catholics and Protestants would get me caught up in the “either or” mess.
Now I think this passage is so cool, unique and significant in the Lord’s ministry! He goes from the miracle of multiplying bread for the hungry, walking on water, to declaring belief in Him and His Word is eating bread from heaven. Then, When the people are just not accepting and stuck in the mind set of getting miracle bread to eat, He throws the most heavy, prophetic, and faith demanding teaching at them! “And the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh.” It’s as if He is seeing their dis-belief and knowing it will demand His ultimate sacrifice. So, He lays it on them in order to seperate those who are genuine from those who are not coming from the heart of the Father, in faith that is. So in this moment, the disciples who have built up their trust in Him remain. But Jesus reveals the one who will betray Him! As if He sees that Judas remains, but for wrong reasons. This ties the message to the Last Supper, betrayal and Passion.
What an amazing series of events! What an amazing Lord!

Peace,
Michael

[quote="rcwitness, post:1, topic:322815"]
I used to look at John six and feel perplexed. Trying to find out wheather Jesus was talking about Eucharist or the Word of God. Lately, I've read some things that see both in the message. It gave me comfort. I have always considered and believed the view that Jesus, being the Word made flesh, should not be seperated when adoring the Eucharist. But the whole debate of what the Sacrament means to Catholics and Protestants would get me caught up in the "either or" mess.
Now I think this passage is so cool, unique and significant in the Lord's ministry! He goes from the miracle of multiplying bread for the hungry, walking on water, to declaring belief in Him and His Word is eating bread from heaven. Then, When the people are just not accepting and stuck in the mind set of getting miracle bread to eat, He throws the most heavy, prophetic, and faith demanding teaching at them! "And the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh." It's as if He is seeing their dis-belief and knowing it will demand His ultimate sacrifice. So, He lays it on them in order to seperate those who are genuine from those who are not coming from the heart of the Father, in faith that is. So in this moment, the disciples who have built up their trust in Him remain. But Jesus reveals the one who will betray Him! As if He sees that Judas remains, but for wrong reasons. This ties the message to the Last Supper, betrayal and Passion.
What an amazing series of events! What an amazing Lord!

Peace,

The either / or trap of scripture is to be avoided. Both/and is more in line with Catholic scriptural scholarship. That's why we can make the jump of Mary being mother of Jesus and the mother of God. Seems like you 've avoided those pitfalls. Congratulations and God Bless.

[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.