John 7 - Festival of Tabernacles

Why did Jesus tell his brothers that we was not going to go to the Festival of Tabernacles, but then secretly did go?

He did not want to draw crowds in Jerusalem, and there were factions of Jews at the time seeking to kill him.

With his disciples going alone, Jesus could get to the feast in secret and go public when he wanted to. If he hadn’t, he’d have drawn crowds on the way down and in entering the city, if any wished to try to take him it would have been a good opportunity to do so before he had a chance to teach where he wanted to.

Thanks much!

What he meant was, “I’m not going yet.”:smiley:

To protect the disciples.

He knew that the chief priests wanted to kill him and didn’t want his disciples to get caught up in it.

-Tim-

John 7;8

…I am not going to the feast because my time has not yet been fulfilled.

He was saying that it wan’t time for him to die yet, there was more that he had to do first. The Jewish leaders would have killed him if they knew where to get their hands on him, and he wasn’t ready for that just yet.

Not just the Priests, but the JEWS.

The common Jews as well.

Big difference.

Some people would accuse you of being racist. Ah, the scourge of political correctness.:smiley:

But not you, right?

It is what it is and we can’t reinterpret the words in the New Testament the way we want them to be.

The Chief Priests were Jews. The Chief Priests and the Pharisees were the instigators.

*From that time Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised. (Matthew 16:21)

Now the chief priests and the whole council sought false testimony against Jesus that they might put him to death, (Matthew 26:59)

And the chief priests and the scribes heard it and sought a way to destroy him; for they feared him, because all the multitude was astonished at his teaching. (Mark 11:18)

So the chief priests planned to put Laz’arus also to death, (John 12:10)*

-Tim-

Aw, c’mon now Tim.

You are being VERY selective here.

John:

5:16-18 Therefore the Jews started persecuting Jesus, because he was doing such things on the sabbath. 17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father is still working, and I also am working.” 18 For this reason the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because he was not only breaking the sabbath, but was also calling God his own Father, thereby making himself equal to God.

7:1 After this Jesus went about in Galilee. He did not wish to go about in Judea because the Jews were looking for an opportunity to kill him.

Just because anti-semitism is repugnant to us all doesn’t mean we should re-write the New Testament.

Read Hagan’s “Fires of Rome” for the unbiased facts (as well as can be determined) on the Jews’ antagonism against the early Christians. Admittedly, the High Priesthood was behind it all, but they certainly had their “common” Jew adherents. And a lot of them. In fact, the Romans in many instances were protective of the Christians against the High Priesthood.

I said nothing about anti-semitism. Those are your words, not mine. Nor did I try to or allude to rewriting the New Testament. Those are your thoughts and your words, not mine.

I’ve read the Bible cover to cover five times and the gospels dozens if not a hundred or more times. I was not being selective. I know exactly what it says about “Jews”.

Matthew uses the word “Jews” five times in the Gospel.
Mark 6
Luke 4
John 62 times.

Yes, the general population of Jews supported the pharisees, chief priests, scribes and elders. Only the Sanhedrin however, had authority to sentence someone to death and then only with Roman approval. I undersand all about how many “Jews” supported putting Jesus to death.

My point was simply this - the priests, scribes, Pharisees and elders were in a position of authority to sanction hostility toward Jesus and his disciples both after and before Jesus’ death. Much of the Gospels are about Jesus’ confrontations with these people.

That’s my point and nothing more. I really don’t understand what your point is at all.

-Tim-

Jesus went up to the feast of tabernacles secretly so that his disciples didn’t get caught up in the commotion he was sure to cause. They were going to kill him like they killed the other prophets and he did not want them to get hurt.

That’s the answer to the OP’s question.

-Tim-

His point was against political correctness.

Just because political correctness has gone too far in some places doesn’t mean we should throw it out the window. We obviously aren’t going to change the texts, but if we don’t have a nuanced understanding and just take it at face value we may very well come to the wrong conclusion and also create a hostile environment for our Jewish neighbors.

Regarding who Jesus was avoiding, I think it is both the Jews and the rulers (Chief Priests, Pharisees, Scribes) but not all of any of these. Jesus had friends within all groups, and even these. But it’s always the ones with the most authority who are the most dangerous.

As usual, the Catena Aurea has some good info on it:

dhspriory.org/thomas/CAJohn.htm#7

Political correctness was assumed by reading something that I had not written.

-Tim-

Well you said the chief priests in your first post. If you read John 7, when Jesus declares himself as I AM, the people who are listening to him him try to kill him!

Yes. That’ clearly makes me a Jewish sympathizer, one who is looking to introduce political correctness into the Bible. :rolleyes:

By the way, it’s John 8, not John 7. :wink:

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.