John and the High Priest

Remember in John 18 where Peter and John follow Jesus when He is arrested and John gets in because he knows the High Priest? How did John bar Zebedee end up knowing the High Priest?

St. John Chrysostom had some thoughts on this question:

But observe how he detracts from his own praise; for, lest any one should ask, How, when all had retreated, did this man enter in farther than Simon? he says, that he was known to the high priest. So that no one should wonder that he followed, or cry him up for his manliness. But the wonder was that matter of Peter, that being in such fear, he came even as far as the hall, when the others had retreated. His coming there was caused by love, his not entering within by distress and fear. For the Evangelist has recorded these things, to clear a way for excusing his denial; with regard to himself, he does not set it down as any great matter that he was known to the high priest, but since he had said that he alone with Jesus went in, lest you should suppose that the action proceeded from any exalted feelings, he puts also the cause. And that Peter would have also entered had he been permitted, he shows by the sequel; for when he went out, and bade the damsel who kept the door bring in Peter, he straightway came in. But why did he not bring him in himself? He clung to Christ, and followed Him; on this account he bade the woman bring him in.

newadvent.org/fathers/240183.htm

Does John specify that it was himself? There were Pharisees and members of the San he drinks that did believe and follow Jesus, right?

I did see that John Chrysostom states it is John.

Hi, Erik!

…yeah, there are passages in Scriptures that seem to throw us for a spin…

Consider the following:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]21 Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, 22 and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.

(St. Matthew 4:21-22)

2 These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; (St. Matthew 10:2)

19 When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. 20 Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him. (St. Mark 1:19-20)

17 James son of Zebedee and his brother John (to them he gave the name Boanerges, which means “sons of thunder”) (St. Mark 3:17)
…there seems to be some sort of respect attached James’ and John’s father… something akin to what is still practiced in today’s social circles… the town’s/city’s notable merchants are held in high regards… even Jesus seems to have known something about Zebedee sr. as He names James and John Boanerges; in addition, we have Scriptures demonstrating that the Zebedee’s may have been financially well off since they were able to hire additional workers… back them, as it is now, name and money almost always open doors.

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

Hi, James!

…yeah, there are passages in Scriptures that seem to throw us for a spin…

Consider the following:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]21 Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, 22 and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.

(St. Matthew 4:21-22)

2 These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; (St. Matthew 10:2)

19 When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. 20 Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him. (St. Mark 1:19-20)

17 James son of Zebedee and his brother John (to them he gave the name Boanerges, which means “sons of thunder”) (St. Mark 3:17)
…there seems to be some sort of respect attached to James’ and John’s father… something akin to what is still practiced in today’s social circles… the town’s/city’s notable merchants are held in high regards… even Jesus seems to have known something about Zebedee sr. as He names James and John Boanerges; in addition, we have Scriptures demonstrating that the Zebedee’s may have been financially well off since they were able to hire additional workers… back them, as it is now, name and money almost always open doors.

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

Hi!

We have the scene at the foot of the Cross:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]25 Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. 26 When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to her, “Woman, here is your son,” 27 and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.

(St. John 19:25-27)
Since women were basically silent witnesses it can be understood how these ladies would be allowed to come close to the incident–Jesus’ Disciples, in my estimation, would have a very tough time maneuvering their way to Jesus… someone with clout (familiarity) could easily make his way almost unchallenged.

We know that it is John because this is very much St. John’s signature (remaining anonymous), perhaps do to humility; he only reveals himself at the end of the Gospel in order to convey a greater Knowledge:

20 Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, “Lord, who is going to betray you?”) 21 When Peter saw him, he asked, “Lord, what about him?” 22 Jesus answered, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.” 23 Because of this, the rumor spread among the believers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?” 24 This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true.

(St. John 21:20-24)
Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

I’m just saying this because I read this quote by Eusebius saying that John wore the “sacerdotal plate” meaning he was a priest.

Hi, James!

…I do not know the reference… but could Eusebius be talking about the Christian Priesthood?

…there’s no mention in Scriptures that John was part of the Levi priesthood–which was the requirement for the Judaic priesthood.

I’ve heard say/expressed that John’s mother was some sort of relative of the Virgin which would make her part of the Judean clan and since the practice was that people would marry within their clans that would make Zebedee part of the clan of Juda not that of the Levi clan… which would impede John from putting on official priestly vestments.

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi!

…I completely forgot about your second query… yes there were some from the religious orders that believed in Jesus… but they basically lived a double life… they kept their Christian interests concealed; one particular name that comes to mind is Nicodemus (St. John 3:1-21), not only was he a Pharisee but he was of the ruling body.

…though, for the most part the conversion of the priests happened after Pentecost:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]7 So the word of God spread. The number of disciples in Jerusalem increased rapidly, and a large number of priests became obedient to the faith.

(Acts 6:7)
Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

I have actually heard it argued that Mary was of the tribe of Levi hence her relation to Elizabeth.

Hi, James!

…yeah, there does seems to be some sort of reaching or inter-clan mingling… :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Maran atha!

Angel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.