John Hagee -Jesus didnt come to be Messiah?

Any John Hagee followers care to reply to this or has anybody read his latest book “In defense of Israel”?
Is this what he is preaching that Jesus didnt come to earth to be the Messiah?

It would seem that you are correct. I don’t really like to judge but, how can one be a Christian and not believe that Jesus Christ is… well the Christ the Messiah? Isn’t that our initial distinguishing feature?

Torquemada, thou shouldst be living at this hour.

:thumbsup:

Why Not??
I’m sure he can even throw in some scripture versus to back up his claims. Welcome to sola scriptura.

I used to watch him alot. I got tired of his style rather quickly though.
He is very anti-Catholic. Once I heard him, while trying to slam the CC, say the CC ordained a gay bishop.(The news he was referring to was concerning the Episcopal church). He might have just got them mixed up in his head, but it goes along way in trying to discern his credibility.:shrug:

Jed

I thought so, too. :shrug:

Get your hiking boots on… we’re in for a long hike through something that’s knee deep and doesn’t smell like mud. :wink:

The anti-Catholicism is fairly standard when it comes to the big-name Protestant pastors/preachers/ministers. It takes away the mystery about where a lot of anti-Catholics get their misinformation. After a while you get used to it. :slight_smile:

I was thinking of when Peter declared Jesus to be “The Christ the Son of the Living God”. Whether one is Protestant or Catholic it is universally understood that acknowledgement of the person of Jesus as the Christ (Messiah) is the foundational concept of the Faith.

So now wouldn’t Haggee’s assertion more or less for a denial of this? As such isn’t he in fact saying that Peter’s declaration was in error? Is Haggee willfully seperating himself from the Rock (by all possible interpretations of the verses in question)?

Hi Toby, this is really quite simple. The Jewish people were expecting a military general of the Messiah. In Judaism, there is two Messiahs discussed in the scriptures Yeshua Ben David and Yeshua Ben Joseph. One of these is basically the Suffering Servant, the other the conquering King. Jesus came the first time as the Suffering Servant, and he will come the Second time as the conquering King. The Jewish peoples were expecting the conquering King and got the Suffering Servant – this is basically all Hagee is trying to say.

Still, he’s being rather sensationalistic, wouldn’t you say? Queue dramatic music

It will prove that the Jewish people did not reject Jesus as the Messiah. **It will prove that Jesus did not come to be the Messiah. **It will prove that there was a Calvary conspiracy between Rome, the High Priest, and Herod to execute Jesus as an insurrectionist too dangerous to live. **Since Jesus never claimed by word or by deed to be the Messiah, how could the Jews be blamed for rejecting what was never offered? ** Read it in this shocking expose in defence of Isreal.

I would also find his words rather problematic, since Jesus is really both the suffering servant and the conquering messiah (but not in the insurrectionist way for which he was falsely judged). Although he is on the right track in defending the Jews as a people.

God bless,
Ut

Are you sure about that? He literally says “Jesus did not come to be the Messiah”. Further he reinforces this by restating that Jesus never even claimed to be the Messiah.

I would agree that Jesus was not the Messiah that many of the Jews were expecting. However, He was still the Messiah and for Hagee to say that he wasn’t with to intention to either deceive (at worst) or to be theatrical (at best) is pretty bad.

Quote:

It will prove that the Jewish people did not reject Jesus as the Messiah. **It will prove that Jesus did not come to be the Messiah. **It will prove that there was a Calvary conspiracy between Rome, the High Priest, and Herod to execute Jesus as an insurrectionist too dangerous to live. **Since Jesus never claimed by word or by deed to be the Messiah, how could the Jews be blamed for rejecting what was never offered? ** Read it in this shocking expose in defence of Isreal.

What has he got to say about these?

But whom do you say that I am? Simon Peter answering, said: The Christ of God. 21 But he strictly charging them, commanded they should tell this to no man. 22 Saying: The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the ancients and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and the third day rise again.

Chirst went through all these suffereings so was the Messiah.

He also says ‘I and My Father are one’

And behold a voice from heaven, saying: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

I don’t see how he can prove otherwise based on the bible.

That’s a new one—Jesus but not Christ?

Guess that makes him a Jesusian rather than a Christian.

Well both Christ and messiah mean annointed one. One in hebrew the other in greek.

Well Hagee proves once again that he teaches double covenent theology.

I guess he forgot that a faithful remnant accepted Jesus as messiah. But this is what happens when you think daniels 70th week is still in the future and the church is just a parenthesis to God plan.

I will say it now Mr. Hagee you are truly a heretic.

Hi Toby, this is really quite simple. The Jewish people were expecting a military general of the Messiah. In Judaism, there is two Messiahs discussed in the scriptures Yeshua Ben David and Yeshua Ben Joseph. One of these is basically the Suffering Servant, the other the conquering King. Jesus came the first time as the Suffering Servant, and he will come the Second time as the conquering King. The Jewish peoples were expecting the conquering King and got the Suffering Servant – this is basically all Hagee is trying to say.

Any way you look at it Jesus DID come as the messiah. That the Jews didnt recognize him as such is another matter but what Hagee said is definitely a heresy.

Wow… all I can say is WOW… I think I have heard it all now… Jesus isn’t the messiah because he didn’t intend to be the messiah which is why the Jews didn’t recognize him as such…WOW!

In reply to post # 9 where you state Hagee claims Jesus never claimed to be the Messiah, have him read the **Gospel of John, 4:25-26. ** This is where Jesus is speaking to the Samaritan woman. These verses say, "The woman said to him, "I know there is a Messiah coming. (This term means Anointed). When he comes he will tell us everything:. Jesus replied, “I who speak to you am he.” If that does not answer the question for him, I don’t know what will. But his definitely is a gospel of prosperity.
Deacon Ed B

Give him enough rope.

John Hagee is a Heretic of the first order!!! I used to watch him regularly and even taped his shows but the more I watched, studied, and referenced his teachings with the Bible, the more I seen that what he was teaching was anti-Biblical novelties and outright heresy. He teaches his own opinions and interpretations that are rediculous. Therefore, any teaching or instruction heard by the Heretic John Hagee are to be rejected and condemned by all Christians.

Maybe Hagee is missing that page or it’s stuck to another page.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.