John Kasich, Who Says He Won’t 'Win a Vote' With God, Brings Religion to Forefront [ABC]

John Kasich, Who Says He Won’t ‘Win a Vote’ With God, Brings Religion to Forefront

Republican presidential candidate Gov. John Kasich has said he does not wear his faith on his sleeve, but as his campaign shifted to South Carolina this week, he has incorporated religion into his pitch in a deeply personal way that was absent in less-religious New Hampshire.

Kasich has honed his message in a state where about two-thirds of Republican voters are evangelicals, bringing the deeply personal story about how he found his faith to the forefront.

"I don’t go out and try to win a vote by using God,” Kasich told reporters in Manchester, New Hampshire, on Feb. 3. “I think that cheapens God. But people know I’m sort of faith—I mean, I don’t think they know that or not. But I think they pick it up.”

Okay, now, this next part is absolutely stunning, the things we find out!

But in recent days, he has made his faith a central part of his message in South Carolina, which holds its GOP primary on Feb. 20, including taping a television advertisement in which he tells viewers about the deeply personal story of his parents’ death at the hands of a drunken driver in 1987. The tragedy, according to Kasich, reinvigorated his faith.

“My parents were killed by a drunk driver, but my parents did not die in vain,” he says in the advertisement, which was slated to start airing Friday in South Carolina. “I was transformed. I discovered my purpose by discovering the Lord. I believe the Lord put us on this earth to use the gifts that we’ve been given to bring about a healing. And that’s the motivation for me.”

Kasich, who worships at an Anglican church and regularly attends a Bible study group, has always made his spirituality central to his pitch to voters, telling attendees of his over-100 town hall-style meetings in New Hampshire that it is important for communities to grow stronger and speaking of his faith in a more general sense. He often lauded the United States’ Judeo-Christian background.

“I went through it,” he said of his past tragedy. “The Lord gave me the grace to fully recover and put me in a position to be aware of other people’s problems.”

Read more at: abcnews.go.com/Politics/john-kasich-wont-win-vote-god-brings-religion/story?id=36915276

Kasich (Kay-Sick) is a Croatian name, his father was a mail man. There are so many things we may not know about a candidate. This is extremely moving.

We may hear that he left Catholicism, if this is accurate to say but obviously, these events in life may have had a great affect on all of this. It must have been very difficult to go through this. That would be a real cross to bear.

:gopray:

In the link below he explains growing up Catholic but he drifted away. He was a former altar boy. I wonder if he has ever publicly spoken about why after he left the Catholic faith that the death of his parents didn’t lead him back to the Catholic faith but instead to an ACNA faith community.

He explains in the link below that he expanded Medicaid because when he gets to the pearly gates, he will have to answer to what he has done for the poor. I greatly respect that.

And while he opposed SSM, he was pragmatic after the Supreme Court overturned state bans. Two days later, he was interviewed and said: “I believe in traditional marriage, but the Supreme Court has ruled. It’s the law of the land, and we’ll abide by it. … It’s time to move on.”

He never joined the outcry to defund Planned Parenthood, even if it took shutting down the government, because he said. I don’t think it’s going to work out.”

religionnews.com/2016/01/31/kasich-religion-poverty/

This is an absolutely tremendous story; thanks for posting.

It might get me to consider voting for him except that I was going to do so already.

I’ve noticed him mentioning his faith, too, and the fact that he does it in a different way than, let’s say, some Christian conservative preaching against gays.

Kasich seems like a nice guy, and like someone who cares for other people. He acts respectably to others at the debates. These are attributes I admire. Yet, he doesn’t come across to me as someone who would fight for the unborn. i don’t think there is anybody at any greater risk in our society than the unborn baby, therefore I will only vote for someone who I believe will fight to protect them.

Kasich already has signed in to law numerous pro-life bills. Is that good enough? Or just talking about it? That is the difference between Senators who often talk but don’t have that much to show for it versus the Governors.

CNN Trashes John Kasich: Is Your Pro-Life Stance Worth Losing Over?
lifenews.com/2016/02/15/cnn-trashes-john-kasich-is-your-pro-life-stance-worth-losing-over/

Your record on abortion is consistent. You have enacted at least 16 anti-abortion measures since you became the governor.

He just signed a bill as well.

And has years of experience.

Ohio House Sends Legislation to De-fund Planned Parenthood to Governor Kasich
nationalrighttolifenews.org/news/2016/02/ohio-house-sends-legislation-to-de-fund-planned-parenthood-to-governor-kasich/#.VsMx1UCKZVI

This kind of thinking on his part has always baffled me, tho.
There are many people who do good and take care of their fellow humans…to simply be good people and make the world a better place…not because they’ll be questioned and tested during some sort of final judgement interview to get past a set of gates.
If he was not a theist, he wouldn’t help the poor?
I hope people don’t help others only because they think it will get them into an afterlife heaven, but because they are compassionate people.

We are mandated, as Christians, to help the poor. I think that was his only point. There is nothing wrong with following a mandate from the Lord.

Is it just me, or did anyone else read the headline to mean that Kasich was saying “God wouldn’t vote for me?” :smiley: :smiley:

–Jen

Kasich is compassionate, one doesn’t see him voting for infanticide, anyone who votes for pro-abortion politicians are partners to that damage.

Yes, the headline throws one for a bit of a loop but I suppose it is somewhat truthful.

But he has personally de-funded Planned Parenthood, he kept Ohio’s medicaid money in the state. He’s popular there so I doubt if the poor are hurting there.

Kasich is heading off to Michigan for a campaign appearance per Fox News.

This is a sign that perhaps, expectations are being lowered there.

I heard it early on that with a name like Kasich, that might not be the kind of name that catches on in SC.

On the other hand, some polls were showing him doing decent, perhaps these internal polls as well, deserve more attention in what they say.

Thank you, that is good to know.

I do always worry when I don’t hear them defend life that it isn’t a priority for them. Actions do speak louder than words though.

I was respecting his view that govt can play a role in helping the poor and based on his faith in God and in the pearly gates, that he considered a govt program such as Medicaid a means in which God would consider he helped the poor. Especially when I read so often on CAF that only individual contributions count towards the responsibility of Christians. But totally get and agree with what you are saying.

Yes but it sounds as if he was not into the whole “defund PP or we will shutdown the federal govt” POV which is what I was referring to. His popularity has increased in OH from what it once was. Yet in the latest RCP polling, which granted they’re not showing any since Oct, but he was 10 pts behind Trump. No doubt the NH 2nd may have helped though if current polling was done today in the state. I have no clue as to his approval rating among the poor. Far less Democrats approved of him though than did the roughly 60% overall who did in some of the more recent approval rating polls.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.