John Kerry hits Nigeria gay marriage law

Secretary of State John Kerry on Monday condemned a new law in Nigeria prohibiting same-sex marriages, calling it a “dangerous” restriction on freedom.

“The United States is deeply concerned by Nigeria’s enactment of the Same Sex Marriage Prohibition Act,” Kerry said in a statement released by the State Department. “Beyond even prohibiting same sex marriage, this law dangerously restricts freedom of assembly, association, and expression for all Nigerians.”

The law participating in gay social associations punishable by up to 10 years in prison and makes entering into a same-sex union punishable by up to 14 years of incarceration.

politico.com/story/2014/01/john-kerry-nigeria-gay-marriage-102108.html

I wonder if a group like Courage would be illegal too.

Well, I think it’s the whole…well…imprisoning people for these things he’s concerned about. That’s a bit extreme.

** The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
Aristotle **

What happened to Obama’s & Biden’s stance back in 2008 when both Obama and Biden both said they believed that marriage was between a man and woman…? :frowning:

Goes to show you that some politicians are willing to say one thing to get elected and then do something else once in office. :mad:

I hope it doesn’t go that far.

:thumbsup:

“Beyond even prohibiting same sex marriage…” would indicate that he objects to all of it (and yes the imprisonment part is extreme).

Obama does not like outsiders commenting on American policies, this also goes both ways, he should mind his own business what the Nigerians do regards marriage, I say good for them, marriage is between one man and one woman, not two men, or two women, or a dog and a cat etc. How can two men have children, or two women for that matter, and most certainly a man’s private parts was not designed to go into another man, which the Bible calls sodomy, that still stands.

Let’s see. The biggest part of the world’s oil supply is now being fought over by Iran and Sunni Islamic radicals like Al Quaeda, and Kerry is worried about homosexual “marriage” in Nigeria?

Well, in the absence of any other foreign policy…

Does anyone know what the Nigerian Bishops said about this law?

I’m sure that would be of interest to everyone here.

John Kerry is a great Catholic … Oh wait, I was thinking about another guy I know. My bad

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.