John Lennon was a closet Republican?

I didn't know where to put this so if necessary please move. torontosun.com/2011/06/28/lennon-was-a-closet-republican-assistant This story is also being reported in Rolling Stone Spain. Thought the last part was interesting: "He was a very different person back in 1979 and 80 than he'd been when he wrote Imagine. By 1979 he looked back on that guy and was embarrassed by that guy's naivete."

The first line of the song 'Julia' (from the album 'The Beatles'-aka 'White Album')

"Half of what I say is meaningless..." ;)

I don’t really believe the implications made by this story. I think they’re trying to sell news by spinning it. John Lennon’s track record was very clearly extreme leftist. I think if anything, this shows perhaps that he, like just about every human, may have moderated a little bit as he got older. I highly doubt, however, that he was really anywhere close to being a Republican or “conservative” or considerably far from his far left commie roots. While it is “possible” the evidence is underwhelming, and in my view not convincing and not very likely.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.