John Mayer fans

Everytime that I listen to his music I am amazed at his talent as a musician and a vocalist. I get to wrapped up in the music it takes me to a different place and I simply smile and “groove” with the music. I am a HUGE fan of his “Room for Squares” album and can simply put it on repeat and listen to it over and over again.

Any one else out there really like his music?

I do like John Mayer’s music very much, though I HATE that “Waiting on the World to Change” song! Room for Squares is FABULOUS! One of my bffs and I saw him in concert down in Pensacola in 2004. :thumbsup: It was a great show! He is very, very talented.

We used to think he was hot, but I’m not feelin’ his hair these days! :smiley:

Yes I am. Saw the Counting Crows open for him a couple years ago up in Wisconsin - I loved the music, but I don’t like seeing his face on the big screen (he tends to make weird mouth stretches as he sings)

Anyways-- back to the main answer: yes, I’m a JM fan

I used to be a fan. But then the radio played out his music and now I can’t stand it! He’s an amazing musician (saw him in concert) but one time my friends saw him and Counting Crows and during his performance he was licking his microphone in a sexy fashion. That was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me. Tacky!

I used to be tolerant of his music until “Waiting on the World to Change.” The whole concept of that song is an incredible statement about the apathy of his (MY) generation.

When I first heard that song I thought along the lines of…“then get off your lazy a** and do something like many of us already are that are in the same generation.” :smiley: Does he not realize that those who are in his generation are old enough to be representatives and senators? But as a musician, he is talented.

The song is directed at his apathetic peers.
That was the whole point of the song - calling them out for their attitudes and encouraging them to step up to the plate already - stop waiting, DO something about it.

I disagree. Read the wikipedia link on it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_on_the_World_to_Change

We’re not helpless to change anything. Though, based on the “solutions” many in my generation have proposed, perhaps it’s best we be skipped over…:cool:

I never was a big fan of John Mayer’s earlier stuff, but I love Try! and Continuum. As a guitar player, and a huge Strat and Tele fan, I just love the sound of John’s Strat. The bluesy style of his last two albums combined with his Strat playing, denitely brought out the best of John Mayer.

:rotfl: He TOTALLY makes weird faces when he sings!!!

This is a great page. :slight_smile:

In regards to John’s song, “Waiting On The World To Change” there has been some misunderstanding of the message of that song. I don’t think he is saying that he doesn’t care or that anyone in his generation does not care. The song expresses the reality of politics in America. I think it also shows a general bitterness toward the George W. Bush years and the mess he left us. The Baby Boomers had a similar message in the late 1960s about fixing all the problems that plagued the world at that time. Even though we are in our 30s now our generation still lacks the financial backing that so many successful politicians have. Chalk it up to working your way up the ladder or paying your dues, but this song tells it like it is and is beautiful. I was not a John Mayer fan when “Room For Squares” came out. Initially, I thought it was a new Dave Matthews Band song. Then John concentrated on a bluesier sound and I can’t get enough of his work.

Here are the lyrics to “Waiting On The World To Change” (The parts in bold are especially genius):

*me and all my friends
we’re all misunderstood
they say we stand for nothing and
there’s no way we ever could
now we see everything that’s going wrong
with the world and those who lead it
we just feel like we don’t have the means
to rise above and beat it

so we keep waiting
waiting on the world to change
we keep on waiting

it’s hard to beat the system
when we’re standing at a distance
so we keep waiting
now if we had the power
to bring our neighbors home from war
they would have never missed a Christmas
no more ribbons on their door
and when you trust your television
what you get is what you got
cause when they own the information, oh
they can bend it all they want

that’s why we’re waiting
we keep on waiting

it’s not that we don’t care,
we just know that the fight ain’t fair
so we keep on waiting

and we’re still waiting
we keep on waiting waiting on the world to change
one day our generation
is gonna rule the population
so we keep on waiting

we keep on waiting
waiting on the world to change*

Wow, now this is a blast from the past. Now I need to get his cd out of hiding.

Of that genre, I much prefer Dave Matthews. John’s very talented though.

Mirror, I know what you mean. I happen to be on a John Mayer kick right now but one day I'll hear something about him and bring out his CDs again. It's almost like hearing them for the first time, though not always the same feeling you had years ago.

Havard, like I said, when I first heard John's "No Such Thing" I thought it was Dave Matthews. The voices are very similar.

Also, John’s talked about how Dave was a big influence on his music composition, and it’s clearly evident.

Check out this clip where John does an impression of Dave, it’s pretty funny (warning, irreverent humor included):

youtube.com/watch?v=Vsk5IIIKYA4&feature=related

"Who Says" is one of the silliest songs I have EVER heard.* "Who says I can't go out and get stoned?"* Um...the law?? :shrug:

I liked his instrumental version of "Human Nature" at the Michael Jackson memorial. Maybe he should stick with instrumentals.

If you like his guitar skills (which are impressive), you should check out Derek Trucks and Kenny Wayne Shepherd. They are both phenomenal. :thumbsup:

I think he’s refreshing in this world of I would personally consider - mainly overproduced garbage.

Then again, I may be older than some of you.

There are at least as many great young artists making records out there these days, they just aren’t getting the publicity they deserve. Jonny Lang is another one, in addition to KWS, and Derek Trucks.

His performance of Human Nature was the highlight of that memorial service.

As for pot, never did understand why it is illegal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.