John Paul II and church doctrine?

i’ve got some protestants telling me that JPII rewrote some church “laws” (as they put it). he didnt rewrite any doctrine, did he? werent the things that he changed stuff like policy?

be sure, no pope has ever “changed” doctrine. doctrine is objective truth, and the truth cannot be changed. truth CAN, however, be more fully understood (what we refer to as doctrinal “development”). what was changed with vatican ii was several disciplines practiced by the church (or basically “customs/practices”, and not "T"radition). does that clear anything up?

…his papacy was a confirmation of Doctrine of the Church, and an invitation for all of us to Love Christ above all things… to reconcile with our brothers, and to serve each other, and to take care of those less fortunate then ourselves…

thanks. that’s what i thought. i figured these guys didnt know the difference between doctrine and policy/custom.

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]i’ve got some protestants telling me that JPII rewrote some church “laws” (as they put it). he didnt rewrite any doctrine, did he? werent the things that he changed stuff like policy?
[/quote]

I find it a good practice to ask those “attacking” the Church to specify exactly the things they question. In this case, ask your friends which church “laws” JPII changed. That will give you a little more to go on to refute their claims.

'thann

Anything a Pope changes is mostly ceremonial in nature. Mostly policy can be changed and organizational structure. Other things that can be changed are processes which are not part of the liturgies themselves. The Doctrine itself is rock solid. Unable to be changed.

Pope John Paul II enacted the 1983 Code of Canon Law, replacing the previous code from 1917.

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]i’ve got some protestants telling me that JPII rewrote some church “laws” (as they put it). he didnt rewrite any doctrine, did he? werent the things that he changed stuff like policy?
[/quote]

I’d politely ask for some sort of evidence that they could present, then, you’d be better equipped to answer their questions.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.