John the Baptist- has eaten honey and grasshoppers

His clothes was made of camel*s hair.
He was happy witout good cloth and good food,
Good food make us happier maybe just that moment when we eat.

John the Baptist was a saint and many saints are deprived of the luxuries of life which we deem to be normal.His closeness to God probably made eating normal food rather insignificant but also he was willing to do without do to his love for God.I agree food makes one happy just while they are eating it.

The example of holy poverty. :smiley:

One of the mortal sin is Gluttony.
Over consumption of food and drink.
If we pass on this sin we can be more healthly, so God is on our side and He tell us that we will be more satisfied with normal consumption. That is right why do not we listen God?

Interestingly enough i seen a programme recently pointing out how numerous insects are and how in the future we may need to explore other food sources. The programme actually brought out Grasshoppers cooked for the public to eat and those that tried them all agreed they were tasty. I havent tried myself yet.:smiley:

But in that light a diet of Grasshoppers and Honey may not have been so bad as it sounds :smiley:

Your point about gluttony is well taken. I notice that many are now trying to say that obesity is a disease, rather than taking responsibility for what we put into our mouths.:rolleyes:

is is in the bible that he ate grasshoppers?:eek:

Yes, in Holy Bible stays
John’s clothes were made of camel’s hair, and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey.Matthew 3,4
Locuste is grasshoppers.
Maybe they are so tasty.

Good question!

As in many things, we prefer the pleasure of the moment rather than the long-term good. Food tastes good. It feels good to eat it. It takes our minds off of other things, things we’d rather forget. It makes us feel less upset sometimes. It takes a disciplined person to do what we are told is good for us rather than what feels good to us right away.

Ew! Maybe after they’re dipped in honey!

St. John the Baptist is one of my favorite saints. I wish I could be more like him. Living in the wilderness and proclaiming the kingdom of God seems so romantic…but it would be a very hard life in reality.

I am pretty attached to food…and the other comforts of living in middle-class America. :blush:

That is “honey and locusts” in the Bible translations I have read.

There is a tree here called a honey locust.  The pods of this tree bears superficial resemblance to the Carob bean or pea of the Middle East where it is called a locust gum tree or bush.   St. John's Bread  is  made from  Carob  beans.

However  locusts or  grasshoppers are consumed also.   The question is  what  was available and could be stored?    But also  what  word  was translated  in the Bible as locust?   And are grasshoppers are included in the Mosaic Book of the Law in the dietary codes.  I know that St. John would follow the Law  in all things.

Given the history,  I read long ago  I think it was the Carob beans.

BP

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.