John the Baptist vs. Mary - Question

The scriptures tell us that among those born of women there have been none greater than John the baptist. So how do we reconcile this with Mary being more blessed than all?

[quote=thessalonian]The scriptures tell us that among those born of women there have been none greater than John the baptist. So how do we reconcile this with Mary being more blessed than all?
[/quote]

Here’s the passage:

Luke 7

For I say to you: Amongst those that are born of women, there is not a greater prophet that John the Baptist. But he that is the lesser in the kingdom of God, is greater than he. *

Well, first off, Mary is not a prophet. Second, I would say through her humility she is “lesser” and therefore greater than he.

[quote=thessalonian]The scriptures tell us that among those born of women there have been none greater than John the baptist. So how do we reconcile this with Mary being more blessed than all?
[/quote]

In context, the passage refers to John the Baptist as a prophet. Mary wasn’t a prophet.

[/quote]

How can we reconcile it with Christ being greater than John the Baptist? Apparently the statement is not completely all inclusive, because Christ was born of a woman.

[quote=Genesis315]Here’s the passage:

Luke 7

Well, first off, Mary is not a prophet. Second, I would say through her humility she is “lesser” and therefore greater than he.
[/quote]

Good point, I never noticed that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.