John Wycliffe Movie?

I noticed on Netflix there's a movie on John Wycliffe, I know he translated the bible but was he a catholic? I'm not sure which bible he translated, so i would like to know a little more about him before i watch the movie.

I would suggest that you do a search on john wycliffe. yes, he did a translation of the bible and I do think he was raised as a Catholic, but he is referred to as " the morning star of the reformation". If you are interested in apologetics or if you just want to know more study him ( do a search on the internet ) and watch the movie.

Yeah I think he is revered as sort of a Protestant Saint if there is such a thing. It's been a long time since I read up on the situation; I think the Church suppressed his translation into the vernacular (probably for being of poor quality) and certain Protestants trump this up into the Catholic Church trying to keep the Scriptures out of the hands of the common folks. As I recall there is more to the story than that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.