Joining a Third Order...from Vietnam?

As the title suggest, I’m an American living in Vietnam. I will probably be here for a while but I really want to join a Third Order. I know that most Third Orders require you to attend chapter meetings, but I’m wondering if there’s anything that I can do to join one from here. Here in Hanoi, there is only one English speaking parish and they do not have a Third Order that I know of.

Any suggestions?

p.s. I really like the Dominicans but I would look at all options.

God bless you and guide you in discerning your vocation. The secular consecrated life is a way to participate in the work and charisms of a particular order, while remaining "in the world" as a single or married person.

Each order, Dominican, Franciscan, Carmelite, etc. has it's own particular "flavor", and so I would caution you to discern carefully where God is calling you. If you haven't already done so, I recommend discussing with your spiritual advisor or confessor, and ask where he sees your soul's leanings. He, your pastor, monastaries and convents of religious would be good places to inquire.

As an OCDS (Discalced Carmelite Secular), i believe there are OCD nuns in Vietnam. They might be able to direct you to a secular group. Praying for you-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.