Joke about Hymn 666 at Mass; mortal sin?

It’s mostly in the question. I didn’t receive again, but I felt the spiritual hunger for Jesus Christ. I made the joke to my dad after hymn 668 was announced.

Maybe something that can be worked on, but something like that would not have kept me from receiving. I don’t think it was mortal.

A joke is seldom sin, let alone mortal, unless done deliberately to hurt someone.

While the Mass is not a proper venue for jokes in any case (something to bear in mind), it is my ASINWHO that you did not sin at all.

ICXC NIKA

So what was the joke and what does that have to do with hymn 666 as opposed to hymn 668?

Scrulples dear one. Tee prince of lies got you to refrain from Eucharist.
Praying for your progress in this area.
God bless you.

Sounds like the makings of a good joke, but save it for Skit Night at the Parish. What “hymn” would you choose? Beauty and the Beast? :wink:

What does your confessor or spiritual advisor say? Do you have help with these things other than the polling of random people on the Internet? What if you get a 100 responses to this question and 87 of them say there is no mortal sin?

Your a kid. Kids make jokes as long as it isn’t vulgar or irreligious. Probably not a mortal sin. You get a pass, but just remember where you are. There is a time and place for all things, don’cha’kno. Peace;)

P. S. Sometimes Father makes jokes too, witch are pretty lame, but he thinks are funny, so we all laugh. Guilty me.

A lot of hymns aren’t really authoritative or official even ones in the hymnals anyway. In the last month we have gone to many different masses.
We have had top 40 Christian Rock music, a music group with a banjo, an original composition by an aspiring musician, and “America the beautiful”

All of which I have joked about.

Saying a joke like that is absolutely not grave matter. Even vulgar jokes generally are not going to be grave matter. It sounds like you have scruples; as a general rule unless you KNOW that something is a sin, you have to assume it isn’t.

We did 668 as our recessional hymn saturday night…my wife didn’t quite catch it, I jokingly told her it was hymn 666. No intention to blaspheme, offend God, or the like. It’s humans that made the number somewhat sinister, we need to get over it.

I’d say at most it would be a yellow card!

No. Something of this sort is not a mortal sin.

Frankly, if I may say as a professor of theology, this is why I prefer the terminology “grave sin”.

Mortal sin places the emphasis on the effect to the soul, which those of sensitive conscience or with scrupulosity can fixate upon.

Grave sin (or serious sin) articulates that this involves an action or omission so severe and so extreme that it causes a rupture in one’s relationship with the Lord.

A spontaneous attempt at humour may be ill considered. It may even be rude or otherwise impolite. It may or may not be funny. It is, in the situation you describe, rarely of any moral significance of consequence.

Personally, I would think hymnal publishers would do well to just omit “666” in the way that some buildings choose to omit numbering a 13th floor.

Otherwise, please do continue to work with those helping you in this area. The priest, I would imagine, has given you a criteria to apply concerning approaching the Eucharist that is specific. We do that for a reason…because the Eucharist is ultimately the remedy for the condition you are passing through.

I assure you of my prayers and invoke God’s blessing upon you.

Like some buildings & elevators don’t have a 13th floor, the hymnal should leave out the 666th hymn.

666 in ours is a bi-lingual piece which both the Hispanic community and the English community equally dislike.
No worries.

:smiley:

I think it’s a silly superstition. To counter, I’d ignore the entire premise.

It’s not a serious matter. If it isn’t serious, then it isn’t a mortal sin.

Ah, I just read your signature. I don’t think you fully understand the nature of sin, and I think you may tend toward the scrupulous. At your next confession, please ask Father about this.

Mass isn’t ever a proper venue for jokes? Then nearly every priest and deacon I know is in big trouble when it comes to preaching, including myself. I don’t tell jokes in homilies for the sake of entertainment, of course, but well-placed humor can be an effective rhetorical device.

-Fr ACEGC

AMEN to that!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.