Jordan archaeologists unearth 'world's first church'

http://img.breitbart.com/images/LogoAFPsmall.jpg

Archaeologists in Jordan have unearthed what they claim is the world’s first church, dating back almost 2,000 years, The Jordan Times reported on Tuesday.

“We have uncovered what we believe to be the first church in the world, dating from 33 AD to 70 AD,” the head of Jordan’s Rihab Centre for Archaeological Studies, Abdul Qader al-Husan, said.

He said it was uncovered under Saint Georgeous Church, which itself dates back to 230 AD, in Rihab in northern Jordan near the Syrian border.

| story |

Who was St. Georgeous? Anybody know?..

When I first read this story it read “first Catholic church.” Now all the news media are reporting it as “first christian church.”

I wonder which translation is correct:

uvcarmel.wordpress.com/2008/06/10/archeologists-find-oldest-catholic-church/

‘We have uncovered what we believe to be the oldest Catholic church in the world, dating from 33AD to 70AD,’ Abdul Qader Hassan, head of the Rihab Centre for Archaeological Studies told the paper.

christianpost.com/article/20080610/32762_Archaeologists_Unearth_‘World’s_First_Church’.htm

“We have uncovered what we believe to be the first church in the world, dating from 33 AD to 70 AD,” said Abdul Qader al-Hussan, the head of Jordan’s Rihab Center for Archaeological Studies, to The Jordan Times.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/jordan/2106752/World’s-‘oldest-Christian-church’-discovered-in-Jordan.html

“We have uncovered what we believe to be the first church in the world, dating from 33 AD to 70 AD,” Abdul Qader al-Husan, head of Jordan’s Rihab Centre for Archaeological Studies, said.

I’d like to see what they found…this is very interesting …I hope they will have more about it on the news.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.