Joseph, Eliakim & Peter - Royal Stewards and God's Servants

Absolute Authority Established by God: Joseph, Eliakim, and Peter

Joseph - Genesis 41:40-44
40 You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you.” 41 So Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I hereby put you in charge of the whole land of Egypt.” 42 Then Pharaoh took his signet ring from his finger and put it on Joseph’s finger. He dressed him in robes of fine linen and put a gold chain around his neck. 43 He had him ride in a chariot as his second-in-command, and people shouted before him, “Make way!” Thus he put him in charge of the whole land of Egypt. 44 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I am Pharaoh, but without your word no one will lift hand or foot in all Egypt.”

[LIST]
*]Steward over Pharaoh’s kingdom
*]Second in command
*]Dressed in robes with gold chain around neck as symbols of authority
*]Universal jurisdiction throughout the land of Egypt
*]No one lifts hand or foot without Joseph’s word
[/LIST]

Eliakim - Isaiah 22:20-22
20 “In that day I will summon my servant, Eliakim son of Hilkiah. 21 I will clothe him with your robe and fasten your sash around him and hand your authority over to him. He will be a father to those who live in Jerusalem and to the people of Judah. 22 I will place on his shoulder the key to the house of David; what he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open.

[LIST]
*]Steward over Hezekiah’s kingdom
*]Second in command
*]Dressed in robe and sash with key on shoulder as symbols of authority
*]Universal jurisdiction throughout Jerusalem and Judah
*]No one opens or shuts without Eliakim
[/LIST]

Peter - Matthew 16:18-20
18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

[LIST]
*]Steward over Jesus’ kingdom
*]Second in command (cf. John 21:15-19 vicarious shepherd of the one flock)
*]Given keys as symbol of authority
*]Universal jurisdiction over all of Jesus’ kingdom
*]Authority to bind and loose
[/LIST]

Wow! Now THAT was interesting! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Very nice Randy … :thumbsup:

Also …

Hezekiah successor to the Davidic throne …David long gone as is Soloman - but the kingdom and offices continue …

Hezakiah with Eliakim; the chosen steward of the King - Who is given authority and who opens what no one shall close and Closes what no one may open - Eliakim who the people know and call “Father” [AKA Abba, Daddy, Papa, Pope]

Jesus - an heir of David - the One whose Kingship will not end [Jesus is the ultimate fulfillment of that Davidic promise] …

Jesus with Peter his chosen steward; upon who He [Jesus] builds His Church - Who is given authority - who opens on earth what also is opened in heaven and that no one shall close and who closes on earth what is also closed in heaven and that no one may open - Peter, who the people know and call “Father” [AKA Abba, Daddy, Papa, Pope]

Since Jesus is the king who will never die again, the office of the Royal Steward in his kingdom is a perpetual office that will never fade.

The connection to the office that continues is also seen in Matthias’ election to fill the vacancy left by Judas Iscariot. :thumbsup:

Very nice :cool:

very nice :cool:

Wow! Randy, great job pulling together this great insight.

And for Protestants who might mistakenly think that the Egyptian example here is just a pagan idea that is to be dismissed, we see that God was at work here in Pharaoh’s appointment of Joseph as his second in command. Genesis 41:38-39
And we see Joseph’s role as being a father figure. Genesis 45:8
And so it fits that we call Peter’s successor, the Pope, meaning Papa, or Holy Father, representing Christ who is the perfect image of our heavenly Father**. Isaiah 9:5, John 10:30**

Genesis 41:38-39
“And Pharaoh said to his servants, “Can we find such a man as this, in whom is the Spirit of God?” 39 So Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Since God has shown you all this, there is none so discreet and wise as you are…”

defendingthebride.com/temp/ChristSm4Perugino.jpg

John

The Old Testament is the new concealed; the New is the Old revealed.

Yep - that is why I said that Jesus is the ultimate fulfillment of that Davidic promise :thumbsup:

As far as quotes - Jesus’s comment to Peter is such a direct parallel to Isaiah - that it always amazes me so many of our separated brethren fail to acknowledge it and will do whatever gymnastics it takes to say it does not matter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.