Joseph Smith’s seer stone: the stuff of revelation or a rock to mock?

SALT LAKE CITY – Mormon critics reacting to the release of photos of Mormon founder Joseph Smith’s chocolate-colored “seer stone,” see it as another reason to view the Mormon prophet as a conniving fraud and the entire faith as bogus.

Even some devout Latter-day Saints say they knew nothing of Smith’s use of the stone in producing the Book of Mormon from buried gold plates. And they are troubled by it — although The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has addressed the issue previously.

religionnews.com/2015/08/06/joseph-smiths-seer-stone-stuff-revelation-rock-mock/?utm_content=buffer99a18&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

How could they know nothing of it when pretty much everyone outside of Mormonism is familiar with the story? I mean… that book is the core of their beliefs, how couldthey know so little of where it came from? Or are they saying that they don’t know -how- he used the stones?

Nice looking stone, though!

I agree. Amazingly nice stone. However, somehow, I always thought the seer stone had a hole in it. :blush:

I like rocks. It’s a very pretty rock. It just isn’t “the rock.” Jesus said to his disciples, “Upon this rock I build my church.” Now THAT is a rock!":thumbsup:

Many Mormons have a picture in their homes of Joseph Smith sitting at a table, I always thought he was writing the Book of Mormon. There are Mormons that denied he looked into a hat reading stones receiving the translation, however now they are hearing it is true. Very similar to The Mountain Meadow Massacre - I knew Mormons that vehemently denied it, walked out of a university history class over it, only to have the Mormon church admit their involvement a few years ago.

I thought they looked like what Joseph Smith’s mother said they did:

Lucy Mack Smith
(The Mother of the Prophet Joseph Smith.)**

While she didn’t see the plates, she was shown the Urim and Thummim, the divine interpreters that been hidden with the gold plates which Joseph used to translate them. In her journal she wrote,

“On the morning of September 22, after Joseph had returned from the hill, he placed the article [the Nephite interpreters] of which he spoke into my hands, and, upon examination, I found that it consisted of two smooth three-cornered diamonds set in glass, and the glasses were set in silver bows, which were connected with each other in much the same way as old fashioned spectacles. . . . He [Joseph Smith] handed me the breastplate spoken of in his history. It was wrapped in a thin muslin handkerchief, so thin that I could feel its proportions without any difficulty. It was concave on one side and convex on the other, and extended from the neck downwards, as far as the center of the stomach of a man of extraordinary size. It had four straps of the same material, for the purpose of fastening it to the breast.”

The recent transparency of the LDS church is fascinating to watch.

In years past, when people wrote about JS’s polyandry, it was dismissed as erroneous anti-Mormon attacks. Now it’s acknowledged fact on the LDS web site.

In years past, when people talked of JS’s marriages to young teenage girls, it was attacked as anti-Mormon lies. Now it’s acknowledged fact on the LDS web site.

In years past, when people noted Mormonism’s institutional racism against blacks rooted in BY’s racism rhetoric, it was justified as the will of God. Now BY’s prophetic racism is acknowledged fact on the LDS web site and wholly repudiated.

And now… they are embracing the embarrassment of the seer stones (sans the still nonexistent golden plates).

What’s next? I suppose they’ll announce that the BoM is entirely symbolic and has no basis whatsoever in any historical, genetic, or archeological context.

Yesterday’s anti-Mormon lies are today’s proudly proclaimed facts on lds.org!

That’s… really strange to me…

I’ve never heard of that incident before, I’ll have to look it up.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.