Journal Entries

I want to start writing in a journal or diary, but I would like some ideas on how to incorporate all the things I would like to do in my journal entries. For example, currently I am single and would like to meet my future husband soon. I am also stressed about other things, including friends. But, my main concern right now is finding a future spouse. I had read online that there is a book by Jason and Crystalina, How to Find Your Soulmate Without Losing Your Soul, and got the idea to write letters to my future spouse. I don’t know how I would write to someone who I haven’t even met, but I do like the idea. At the end of the journal entry, I was thinking to thank God for the day and say Our Father, Haily Mary, Glory Be. Because, I don’t have really anyone I can talk to about my feelings, so I think I should start writing, but I also want to make God a part of this. Any ideas?? Thanks!!

I write fake letters a lot- I can’t keep a regular journal (I’ve tried, but I’m not disciplined enough to write entries every day), so sometimes framing standalone essays as letters helps me. I’ve written to my past & future selves, my dead father, fictional characters I created, and to God. It’s definitely a good way to process feelings and determine what I think about specific things, and writing to God is oddly easier than normal prayer sometimes.

That said, I think the idea of writing letters to an actual person that you don’t know is kind of strange. I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad idea, just an odd one. There are bound to be others who think that, and your future spouse might be one of them. They might also feel overwhelmed if you write volumes and volumes of letters to them!

For me, I’d just write letters to God and tell Him what’s on my mind, whether that has to do with my future spouse (if he exists) or not. God’s not going to mind the sheer volume of your thoughts. :smiley:

You’ll need to be disciplined.

Don’t make the mistake of trying to write something every day, unless you’re the kind of person that can, because then it will become a chore and you’ll lose interest.

Once a week is a good idea to start with, recording all the important things that happened and how you’re feeling.

You could incorporate addressing your future spouse into the sections where you’re detailing your feelings.

Do you intend to share this with your future spouse at some point or is it to always remain private?

Don’t forget about other forms of communication other than writing. You don’t always need to write things down, you could make a sketch, or find an appropriate picture and stick to the page.

So for example if you just felt you couldn’t, at the moment in time, summon the energy to describe a really bad day you’ve just had, you could find a picture of a building being demolished and just write on top of the page ‘‘My Head today after meeting my sister’’ :eek: :smiley:

It makes looking back on your journal more interactive, tactile and interesting.

Sarah x :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.