Joy Behar: No More Saints Due to Modern Medicine

Another salvo from “The View”

Joy Behar: No More Saints Due to Modern Medicine

Saints were psychotic and advances in modern medicine have essentially wiped them off the planet. That’s “the view” of comedian Joy Behar, as expressed on national television Wednesday.

Whether or not Behar was joking, “The View” co-host’s remarks sparked a loud debate on and off the program.

Full Story

It is time we put it to ABC is put out of it misery.

Hopefully most people can see just how ignorant those people are, but then again, the show is still on so somebody must be watching it…sigh.

She has said a couple of things that I don’t like…a few years ago when Star Jones was on that show, Star said something nasty about “…I don’t have to sit in a box to have my sins forgiven, I just get on my knees…” and Joy chimed in with some really loud “AMEN TO THAT”'s which got the whole audience started.

It was sickening. :frowning:

To be quite honest, I’m not able to work up that much outrage over this. In fact, there may be an, albeit unintended, kernel of truth to what Behar said. Today’s culture is quick to medicate away any mild inconvenience. In many cases, there is no need for the heroic virtues that the saints exhibited when Pfizer has a pill that will make the pain go away.

Someone once said that no man ever forfeited fame or fortune by underestimating the credulity of the American public. :rolleyes:

I’ve often wondered this myself. We are so quick to short-circuit any inconvenience or suffering, some of the things that made the Saints who they were when they pushed through it all. Are we being shortsighted maybe in refusing to tolerate anything uncomfortable? At least it’s something to think about. I’m not saying I’m going to throw my Aleve in the trash tonight or anything. :shrug:

The only attractive women on that show is Hasselbeck, and she is the Christian conservative:)

Great points so far. I think it is amazing how there are small kernels of truth in even the most (insert adjective here) people. My initial response is: What about Mother Theresa? What about Pope John Paul II? What about Father Stanley Rother?

Example of a kernel of truth:

Sure this is true . . . for venial sins. In fact, you don’t even need to get down on your knees. :slight_smile: But the fullness of the truth seems to elude a majority of people. :frowning:

When I first read this comment my initial take was that because of modern medicine, it will be more difficult to get an “official” miracle to canonize a saint - not that there aren’t saintly people. So many diseases can be cured today that only a miracle could’ve saved someone many years ago.

Kris

Complain to The View here:

abc.go.com/daytime/theview/ask

We need to keep some things in perspective. If this is the worst anti-Catholic treatment we receive in this country, we should be thankful. Catholics in China have to worship underground or face prison or death. Same applies to other countries.

I don’t like those comments, but much worse could’ve been said and done.

I can think of a couple of saints who might not have been quite right in the head - St. Rose of Lima and St. Benedict Joseph Labre. That doesn’t make them any less saintly.

Still, The View is a show for idiots and Joy Behar is spectacularly silly. I have to work, so I seldom see it but it is usually on when I have to get my car worked on or if I am at a doctors. Sigh.

Yes be thankful.

But don’t think it’s not coming here. It is a slow march, but they are chipping away and building up the general public’s indifference. But it is coming. I pray we have the strength to carry on when it does. (When I say we, I think I am talking about our children’s children’s children. Hopefully it doesn’t accelerate).

This is true and her comment could be used as a means to educate people about what Sainthood actually means.

At the same time, don’t get complaisant because we are not undergoing physical persecution. If we simply fail to respond to such allegations a Behar has made then the public will assume that she speaks the truth. The day could come in this country when being Catholic is outlawed. After all, what sane person would follow crazy people who hear voices?

Is this not the mindset behind all the new atheist books out there? I was just reading the logic behind the arguements that some of the authors have used to prove that miracles cannot be true in the latest Columbia Magazine. What she said is a very simple, abbreviated and not so eloquent wrap up of the arguement in the article.

I suppose if those Saints were alive today they would perform different acts as miracles. You don’t perform a miracle worried about whether or not it will be considered obsolete hundreds of years from now, right? I mean you do what needs to be done. Is Einstein obsolete because we all know, can prove, and use products based on his theories now? If he is a genius and were alive today he wouldn’t be inventing the light bulb. He’d pick up where other scientists left off an invent the next thing.

Okay I misunderstood what she said, which was far less intelligent than what I thought she said.

She said that she thought you had to hear voices to become a Saint, and that today one wouldn’t hear voices because of modern drugs, which is ridiculous. I thought she was saying modern drugs could replace the miracles that older Saints had performed.

She also added a bit about Mother Theresa. Elizabeth H. refuted her, supposedly, right on the show, so that is good.

I agree with what you say but just have to make a small factual correction: Einstein didn’t invent the light bulb, Edison did. :slight_smile:

First off, I’m so insulted, I can barely see straight.

Saints were psychotic and advances in modern medicine have essentially wiped them off the planet. That’s “the view” of comedian Joy Behar, as expressed on national television Wednesday.

Whether or not Behar was joking, “The View” co-host’s remarks sparked a loud debate on and off the program.

Behar got things started by saying: "I have a theory that you can’t find any saints anymore because of psychotropic medication. I think that [in] the old days, the saints were hearing voices and they didn’t have any Thorazine to calm them down.

“Now that we have all of this medication available to us, you can’t find a saint anymore,” she said on ABC’s daily chatfest.

Click here for a blog post on Behar’s comments and to read the transcript

Co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck blasted Behar’s theory, noting that the late Mother Teresa, who has not yet been given sainthood, is a modern example of a saint.

Behar mentioned the recently revealed doubts Mother Teresa struggled with regarding her faith and contended that the Catholic Church’s standards for sainthood have changed due to medical advances.

“That’s why Mother Teresa had issues. Let’s not forget, she didn’t really believe 100 percent like those saints who were hearing voices. She didn’t hear voices,” Behar said.

"So the church said ‘OK, she does good deeds. Let’s make her a saint.’

“In the old days it used to be you heard voices. You can’t do that anymore.”

FOX News contributor Father Jonathan Morris, when asked to comment for FOXNews.com, lambasted Behar’s remarks, whether or not they were intended to be funny.

“Suggesting that holiness of life is equivalent to a mental disorder as Ms. Behar did is rather unbalanced to say the least,” Morris said.

“Nobody is beatified or canonized because they hear voices. People are declared saints because they have first of all exemplified a heroic living of Christian virtue.”

As for Behar’s characterization of Mother Teresa, Morris said the talk-show host would do well to study the humanitarian’s life.

“Clearly she is no church historian. Saying ‘she didn’t believe 100 percent’ is a simplistic and superficial reading of the news,” said Morris. “Why would you spend 60 years in a slum in the name of Jesus out of love for God if you don’t believe in Jesus or God 100 percent?”

Here is what you can do - go to ABC right here and complain!

abc.go.com/site/contactus.html?lid=ABCCOMGlobalFooter&lpos=CONTACT

First off, I’m so insulted, I can barely see straight.

Here is what you can do - go to ABC right here and complain!

abc.go.com/site/contactus.html?lid=ABCCOMGlobalFooter&lpos=CONTACT

She has a point, though she may have delivered it irreverently. Reverence is overrated in general, and I’m not sure why you’d expect to find it on broadcast television in the first place.

I’m a cradle Catholic who was correctly diagnosed as Type-1 manic-depressive, meaning that in my manias I will inevitably go full-blown “psychotic”, disconnecting from consensus reality. I am 30 years old, and since my diagnosis 9 years ago I have been in that state 4 times. All four times I experienced intense spiritual awareness and insight, even ecstasy. All 4 times, I was “brought down” through the use of high doses of psychotropic meds.

These days I’m religious (heh!) about taking my meds, and my spiritual moods are more “sustainable”. But I know that what I learned and experienced during my manias was spiritually valid, because the insights first experienced then continue to inform my spiritual being. I also know that what is defined in the DSM-IV as “religious mania” could just as easily be used to define the mortifications of Theresa of Avila, Francis of Assisi, and so many others.

I’ve often thought that if, instead of being placed in the pysch ward of a hospital at age 22, I’d been placed in a Franciscan monastery with some brothers who were familiar with what was happening, things might have gone differently for me.

But you know what? I view my mental status as a gift. A cross to be certain, but a gift nonetheless.

Sister, there are lots of things worth getting righteously indignant over. The suggestion that overmedicating our youth may be suppressing spiritual energies isn’t one of them.

-John Francis

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.