Joy, pain and sunshine

My watch says 7:00 AM and I have just finished my morning rounds for the patients under the department of Surgery. Most post-operative patients have slept well throughout the night and with little complaints of pain. Or at least their kind of pain, one been inflicted upon them which is for their own good, for their own healing. The other kind of pain, on the other hand, lurks inside the heart, into the very core of your being. Most of the pain come from the past but while some at the thought of whatever the future will bring.
Psalm 32:1-2, 5, 11 says, “I turn to You, Lord, in time of trouble and You fill me with the joy of salvation.” I remember crying my heart out over the pains and hurt of broken relationships and how, in my time of trouble and confusion, the Lord has placed joy in my heart and knowing that His salvation shines through that joy. In my sorrow, His joy has saved me.
My resident noticed I was already all dressed up while doing my rounds and asked if I have to go somewhere else. I told him that I was planning to go home to Bacolod. He said then that I could take an early off (as in right now) and that’s just what I did. As I stepped outside the hospital, I felt such joy from a simple blessing of having the chance to go home even just for the day.
And as I sat here right now inside the ferry on what appears to be a gloomy day ahead, the sun suddenly shone through the sky and into the waters of the sea making it sparkle, almost blinding my eyes. I can’t help but be awed and moved by the beauty of God’s work. It’s as if God himself is waking up the sea and bring forth life. And I can’t help but reflect that if God can bring life even in the deepest parts of the ocean, surely He can do just that in the beating hearts of men, even in the hardest of hearts.

15 Feb 09 Sun

My cousin’s wife, who still has her family in the Philippines, sweeps floors at a distribution center in order to send money back to her parents and siblings who are very poor. She returns to the Philippines to visit her family, but her husband, my cousin does not go with her. He believes that the country is very dangerous to visit, for an American, and so will not go himself. She is an American now, too. She was taught her Faith by missionaries, and she definitely has compassion for others, is quiet, and goes very far in caring for her parents and siblings.

I thoroughly enjoy hearing real life experiences from other countries. Thanks.

Amen! Our hope is in God!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.