Joyce Meyer

Is it OK for Catholics to read and watch Joyce Meyer?

It is certainly problematic. Someone who is rock-solid in the Catholic faith may be able to glean a few good things from her sermons, and reject that which is contrary to the Christian faith. But your time would be better spent listening to or reading Catholic publications and homilies.

Why try to work very hard to filter dirty water and drink it, instead of going to the pure source of water and drinking?

EWTN would be better than Ms Meyer. You’ll find many on fire Catholic Christians on EWTN: Scott Hahn, Fr Baron of Word on Fire, etc

This has been answered on previous threads but the short of it is no. While she is appealing and funny and comes across as down to earth and has a compelling testimony, what she teaches is a wealth/health, name it claim it which is contrary to Catholic teaching on the role of suffering and troubles. There are likewise questions of her opulent lifestyle and money handling. You would be much wiser as another poster said to watch EWTN and read Catholic authors with a imprimatur.

I watch Joyce Meyer- I like her messages. I would think if you are firmly grounded in the Catholic Faith its not a problem.

I’ve watched her on TV and read a couple of her books, “Battlefield of the Mind,” was probably her best. She tries hard to appear like a normal everyday wife and mother; who was delivered from an abusive childhood, started up her own Bible study, then started her own church, and now she’s very, very, rich. -that’s pretty much her testimony of faith. She gives you her interpretation of biblical scripture, which is similar to some religions, and not so similar to others. I don’t think she’s ever attended college but I read somewhere once she did receive an honorary degree in theology or something. Since I’ve been going to RCIA I’ve been reading up on the Saints. There is a big difference in reading books by St. Francis De Sales, St. Augustine, C.S. Lewis, or John Henry Newman even if they were written years ago. The quality just doesn’t even compare. I think she does charitable works and has brought many people to Christ but the question still remains, on who’s authority is she accountable to? Her husband, manager, congregation, she could possibly say God. That’s why I prefer Catholicism and never truly embraced my own Protestant background. There were too many confusing, varied, interpretations of scripture. I like the authority of the church and the infallibility of the Pope. I just don’t trust my own interpretation of scripture anymore. I’m one of those people who could read something sacred, twist it all around to suit myself, and rationalize all kinds of craziness. There’s just something about TV evangelists I don’t trust; probably because they seem to get so wealthy. And the next time someone makes the statement to me that Catholics worship Saints, I will correct them by stating, “We venerate the Saints, sort of like you do with Joyce Meyer, Joel Olsten, Jimmy Swaggart, etc., etc.”

You have some interesting observations. I came from the word of faith background before coming Catholic which was in the 1980’s. Back then, the big names were Kenneth Hagin, Marilyn Hickey etc. Joyce (and Joel Olsteen) are just the latest dressed up versions. I understand her appeal but name it/claim it is a rather dangerous heresy and no matter how many Bible verses these people quote, what they are teaching is not taught in the Bible at all if one really looks at all scripture verses concerning suffering and pain and trials. This stuff will cause one to loose faith in God rather than strengthen it because you are building your home on sand and when the hurricane comes, you are swept away. Everyone has hurricane in their lives. It is misleading to say that God’s plan for you is that you are never suppose to have them or that if you do, you had a negative confession or the devil caused it. Yes reading books by and about saints especially those that have had great sufferings is not as appealing as watching Joyce Meyers but they are the real deal not someone who has made millions telling them they can have it all in the here and now. For saint reading that are more current, have you tried “Story of a Soul” by St. Theresa of Liseaux?
What amazed me is that she lost her mother at age 5. She writes about that in her only book. Now someone who went through that kind of trauma as a child yet wanted at age 15 to become a Carmelite nun and dedicate her life to prayer is someone of “real” faith. I think that is what you are looking for “real faith” not the pop fizz promoted by Joyce and others.

Yes I love her!!!

Don’t listen to those who call her a heretic just because she doesnt follow the Catholic faith

However, your answer comes from a Protestant point of view. A Catholic view would be that she is teaching things contrary to the faith… ex: the health / wealth “theory”… which is not in keeping with Catholic teaching.

So - Who called her a heretic. Glad you “love” her, but a lot of us don’t.

her “message” is incompatible with the Faith.

What do you think makes a heretic?:confused:

I find her health/wealth ‘gospel’ a significant danger to Christian faith.

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

As a convert, it took me several years to decide to enter the Catholic Church. It required me to go through 8 months of RCIA and through tumultuous times in my family and personal relationships. I say all this to say that I am constantly amazed that so many Catholics want to attend Protestant services or listen to Protestant teachers! I mean, the fullness of the faith is here in the Catholic Church and a lot of us had to cross many rivers to get here. So please people, embrace the gift that so many of you have been blessed to be born into and to have been a part of for ALL of your lives.

No.
She’s a heretic because she says heretical things.
Mainline Protestants consider her a heretic, not just Catholics.

yes this is true, some of her biggest critics are Protestants.

It’s probably O.K. But come on seriously why would you want to? Talk about a theological minnow! You would get more out of a good psychologist, after all lets be honest. That is all that the content of her message really is Pop Psychology wrapped up in Fundamentalist/ Evangelical conservative & prejudice rhetoric.
Emotionally charged hogwash, I honestly don’t know how those poor gullible people can sit there and be berated by such an unsophisticated charlatan!

Wow! Such beautiful words of wisdom. Thanks.

Luke 6:45
New King James Version (NKJV)
45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and** an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart[a] brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.**

Why quote a passage instead of answering the claims of your interlocutor?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.