Joyful Mysteries Question

I’ve been wondering about the Joyful Mysteries. The little booklet “My Pocket Rosary” by Rev. J. M. Lelen, states that during Advent, the Joyful Mysteries are also said on Sundays instead of the Glorious Mysteries. Also then from Epiphany until Lent. So you have a pretty long stretch where the Joyful are said consecutively on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I noticed this is not stressed or even mentioned in many online sources.

Not to make a big deal out of this, but how many of you just say the Joyful on Monday and Saturday throughout the whole year? My wife and I have been going along with the book. Sometimes we break ftom the book and go with our hearts. Just wondering.

There are really no rules in the Rosary, except to pray the Rosary if it be a devotion you enjoy. There are those who pray all 4 mysteries, and those who leave out the luminous mysteries added in recent times.
I tend to focus on one event for the entire Rosary, ie the meeting between Elizabeth and Mary, or the start of the Ministry of Jesus.

My understanding is that Joyful are for Mondays and for Sundays in Advent.
Luminous are for Thursdays, unless one doesn’t say Luminous, in which case you say Joyful on Thursdays also.
Sorrowful are for Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays in Lent.
Glorious are for Wednesays, Saturdays, and all other Sundays not covered above.

I’ve not heard of Joyful being assigned to Saturdays, nor said on Sundays outside of Advent.

I usually go along with whatever the “Rosary of the day” Is supposed to be, unless I am doing a devotion that calls for a certain set of mysteries to be said (like a novena that might not follow Rosary of the day) or I’m trying to finish a 20-decade rosary in which case I’ll say whatever set I need to make up the full 20.

I lead the Rosary before Mass during Advent. We have a cheat sheet on the ambo to make sure we don’t mess up. Well, I saw the sheet said Joyful but I said the Glorious, since it was Sunday. I was corrected, and the next Sunday I prayed the Joyful mysteries!

I think I’m going to just keep to the regular suggested days as are listed on the Rosary Confraternity web page., and make the adjustments for Advent and Lent. I’m really not sure where the author of the little book came up with the Epiphany to Lent thing. Thanks for the suggestions.

As stated previously, there are no rules on what mysteries are prayed on particular days.

Following the addition of the Luminous mysteries by St. John Paul, I read a suggested rotation online, which I follow (I pray five decades daily):

Monday - Joyful
Tuesday - Sorrowful
Wednesday - Glorious
Thursday - Luminous
Friday - Sorrowful
Saturday - Joyful
Sunday - Glorious, regardless of the liturgical season. The thought was that Sunday is a celebration of the Lord’s resurrection, whether it’s Lent, Advent, Easter, Christmas, or ordinary time, so it’s appropriate to pray the Glorious on Sundays.

Beyond that, I pray only the Joyful mysteries during the Christmas octave and only the Glorious mysteries during the Easter octave, since those eight days are liturgically considered to be the Solemnity of Christmas and Easter.

Finally, notwithstanding the rotation above, on a feast day that is also a mystery, I will pray those mysteries. For example, yesterday was the feast of the Baptism of the Lord, which is the first Luminous mystery. So even though I normally pray the Glorious mysteries on Sunday, I prayed the Luminous yesterday.

This is my “system”, but a person is free to pray any and all mysteries any day of the week.

Kudos to you for making the Rosary a part of your spiritual life.

I do Joyful on Monday and Saturday throughout the year so I guess I don’t do them on Sunday’s in Advent. I do however not do the Sorrowful mysteries during Advent or at least I try not to, usually replace them with Luminous since Advent and Light go together well. During Lent we only do Sorrowful right? I have heard this and I do sorrowful most days but sometimes I just want a bit of a break from the gloom :confused:

I do .

I don’t make any changes whatever season we are in .

I am with you on this. Some days I do more than one rosary and mystery. I think I might make a devotion to do an extra different one each day of Lent this year and see how that feels. Thanks for giving me an idea.

It can be adapted.

From the Vatican website:

The first contains joyful mysteries (recited on Mondays and Saturdays); the second, the mysteries of light (Thursdays); the third, the sorrowful mysteries (Tuesdays and Fridays); and the fourth, the glorious mysteries (Wednesdays and Sundays).

“This indication is not intended to limit a rightful freedom in personal and community prayer, where account needs to be taken of spiritual and pastoral needs and of the occurrence of particular liturgical celebrations which might call for suitable adaptations” ( Rosarium Virginis Mariae , 38).

http://www.vatican.va/special/rosary/documents/misteri_en.html

Personally, during advent and up to the feast of the epiphany I was saying the joyful mysteries once per day everyday along with whatever mystery was for that day too, and on the joyful mystery day I would add the Glorious mystery just because it seemed appropriate to me. It just felt better to alwaya include the mystery of the time (joyful) so I was always praying two rosarys per day.

Just seemed natural to do, for me, and it certainly kept me mindful of Christ’s Nativity approaching daily during that time and more.

The Rosary is a private devotion. So there are no set rules in that matter. I myself pray mostly the Joyful Mysteries during Advent and Christmas every day. On Sunday and Friday, I would pray the Glorious and Sorrowful Mysteries on the respective days along with the Joyful Mysteries. I do the same thing with the Glorious Mysteries during Easter, and the Sorrowful Mysteries during Lent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.