JPII kissing Koran?

Sooooo… I ran across this:
reformation.org/vatican-and-islam.html

:rolleyes:

This site is pretty skimpy on details (being a conspiracy-drenched Protestant site), but just for the sake of curiosity, what book is that that Pope John Paul II is kissing? I refer to this, of course: reformation.org/pope-kisses-koran.jpg. Anybody who can give me a date and location of this photo gets a cookie… in fact, I think there is one from Amazon right on my computer!

God Bless,
Telemachus

OMGoodness - this again!!!

Please do a search here on CAF - you will find more than you care to ever read about this topic.

~Liza

Shoot! I thought it was funny, but if there is already a thread, I’m sorry for cluttering up the forum. Thanks Liza!

God Bless,
Telemachus

This is discussed here:
What is wrong with kissing the Qu’ran?

The speculation is that Pope JPII made a mistake or was ill advised on what the custom was in the particular Muslim Country he was visiting. In some of these cultures it is expected to kiss a gift as a sign of thanks and appreciation. It is not clear that it was a Koran and JPII may not have known that it was that book since he can not read Arabic (one of the few major languages he could not read and write in).

In any event conspiracy theorists out there need not think this was done in secret or to signal any kind of tacit acceptance of Islam as an equal but seperate religion. After all the pope knew he was in front of photographers so he was not trying to conceal anything. And secondly, if anyone has a doubt were JPII stood on the teaching of the Catholic Church being the fullness of Christian faith need only recollect that it was JPII who published “DOMINUS IESUS” - On the Unity and Salvific Universality of Jesus Christ and The Church.

James

Well, unfortunately that is not quite the point. Meaning no disrespect to Pope John Paul II (RIP) …
I know there has been support of his action from other posters, but I think it is more honest to admit frankly that this was a dreadful lapse of good judgment. I am a teacher & writer by profession, and there is one golden rule: It doesn’t matter what you think, if the recipient does not pick up the message. By this action, although the pope did not in so many words praise the Islamic Religion against the First Commandment, he did leave himself wide open to this interpretation, and many have in fact (falsely, we know, but what good is that to them now?) drawn this inference.

Pope John Paul - Kissed the Koran

Many non-Catholic Christians objected when Pope John Paul II kissed the Koran during a visit to a mosque several years ago. However, in showing respect for Islam’s scriptures, the Holy Father was following the advice of one of the greatest evangelists of all time, the Apostle Paul, who described his own approach to inter-faith dialogue in these words:

1 Corinthians 9:19-23
19Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

So, Randy Carson;5209860, do you think he was justified in kissing the Koran, or not? I find it hard to know from your posting.

I stated that JPII was following the advice of Paul as found within the pages of God-breathed scripture.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.