Judaism, Christianity, Islam on Atonement

I’m primarily interested in the similarities and differences between Judaism and Christianity on atonement, but thought I’d also learn more about the Muslim perspective as well (which, from what little I understand, is similar to the Jewish view).

Anyway, how do Jews view the issue of atonement (I’m particularly interested in the perspective of Jewish posters here)? I’ve read a few threads in the past about Jewish views of Jesus, and why they do not accept Him as our Savior. But what’s interesting to me is that Jews seem to not accept the Christian viewpoint on what Jesus came to save us from, and why His atoning sacrifice was necessary. This seems to point to a fundamental difference in understanding sin, atonement, and the mission of the Savior. The Christian view of Jesus Christ, among other things, involves the belief that we go to the Father through the Son, and that it is only through His death and resurrection that repentance and eternal life are possible. For Jews, from what I understand, although animal sacrifices are no longer done, there were other types of sacrifice offered in the Temple, and there are various ways to receive atonement and be forgiven of sins. This demonstrates to me that the Jewish worldview doesn’t accept Jesus because the Christian view of the Savior is not necessary, if I understand it correctly.

Anyway, maybe I’m just rambling, but I’m very curious to learn more about how Jews view the concept of atonement, and how they view the Christian understanding (if you have a view on it). Also, I wonder if this view is the same as that held by Jews during the time period surrounding Christ’s ministry.

Islam does not teach that shedding blood is necessary for the forgiveness of sins-- rather, just genuine repentance. “But whoever repents after his wrongdoing and reforms, indeed, Allah will turn to him in forgiveness. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.” (Qur’an 5:39). While there are some Islamic rituals in which animal sactifices are made, they have nothing to do with forgiveness of sins. For example, on the Hajj pilgrimage, it’s common for the participants to sacrifice an animal to commemorate God [Allah] providing Abraham [peace be upon him] with an animal to sacrifice, so as to forego Abraham sacrificing his son.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.