Judaism

Concerning the Jewish interpretation of the first few chapters of Genesis, is there a Speaker, a Spoken, and a Presence?

THANKS!

I am sorry, I have no idea what you are trying to ask…please restate in a new post below

Sorry!

In Genesis, God is the Speaker.

His Word does the creating, Spoken.

His Spirit is over the waters, His Presence.

Well, I am asking, is this a possible Jewish understanding?

I still have no clue what you are talking about.

Sorry, I will try again.

God (Speaker) said let there be light (Word or Spoken).

Wind or Spirit above the waters (Presence).

What does that mean?

Maybe the OP is asking if the Jews believed in some sort of a trinity?

Yes!

I am asking whether Jewish theologians see a “trinity,” too.

It must be remembered that Pope Benedict said that the use of the words Persons and Trinity are in fact negative theology. In addition, person and trinity are extra biblical words.

Also, all of our images and comparisons, according to Trent, fall infinitely short.

Also, Maimonides makes use of negative theology and agrees that all of our comparisons fall infinitely short.

I entitled the thread Judaism because I am hoping and praying that a Jewish individual will help me in my understanding of Jewish teachings.

THANKS!

I was looking at Gen. 1:26-28 in a Jewish study bible. It is a fairly long commentary which I won’t type here. I think the gist of it is –The plural construction (let us…) most likely reflects a setting in the divine council then they site 1Kings 22:19-22: Isa.6: Job chs 1-2. God the king announces the proposed course of action to His cabinet of subordinate deities, though He alone retains the power of decision.

So , no they don’t acknowledge a trinity.

Hope this helped a little.

I too would like to hear from a Jew on this topic.
God Bless

Thanks!

I am not Jewish. There are no official interpretations of any of the Hebrew scriptures, according to the commentary of the Oxford Press The Jewish Study Bible.

So…From Cohen’s Everyman’s Talmud (or some such title) I think it is he who says that there is not a great body of Jewish theology, per se. But, that is what he tries to document in his book, to which I refer you. Abraham Cohen, as I recall.

The Jewish Publication Society’s Commentary on Genesis does not deal with explicit subject. Orthodox Jews are very respectful of God under the banner of monotheism, and the idea of the trinity is too close for them to violating the essence of monotheism.

In the pontifical biblical commission’s document on the Jewish People and their writings in the Christian Bible, the commision presents a beginning and overview of the relation of the “old” testament and the new.

sirach:

I have read Cohen several times.

He has been most helpful.

THANKS!!!

No, Jews do not believe in a trinity. The Shema declares: Hear o Yisrael, the Lord our God the Lord is ONE! Jews interpret this to mean that God cannot be a part of a compound unity.

Pretty neat. :slight_smile: Did you note this yourself or did you read it someplace?

Saint Ambrose wrote about the Trinity being present in Genesis on the fourth century. I think it’s a fairly common Christian interpretation.

[quote=On the Holy Spirit, Book II] For of the Father it is written: “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.” Of the Spirit it is said: "The Spirit was borne upon the waters.’’ And well in the beginning of creation is there set forth the figure of baptism whereby the creature had to be purified. And of the Son we read that He it is Who divided light from darkness, for there is one God the Father Who speaks, and one God the Son Who acts.
[/quote]

God the Father, God’s Word, and God’s Spirit.

I think this just caught me by surprise as on second thought I have heard of this pinpointing before. Thanks for noting Saint Ambrose wrote about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.