Judas' Act of Betrayal, what was it?

The act of betrayal by Judas, what was it?

Was it a Mortal Sin?

Was it a Venial Sin?

Was it just an ACT OF GOD to fulfill prophecy.

or

Was Judas just in the wrong place at the wrong time?

It is noted that Satan possessed Judas in the prescence of Jesus.

Could Satan only indwelt Judas only if Jesus allowed it?

Or was Jesus powerless to prevent the indwelling of Judas by Satan?

free will. i cannot imagine God would compel Judas to betrayal and then condemn him for it. No, Judas acted of his own volition, else Jesus would not have told us that “it would be better for him had he never been born…”

Is Judas condemn? There has been poised another question, “who is the 12th name on the gates of new jerusalem?”

**“it would be better for him had he never been born…”**Speculation…what if Jesus was implying for Judas to take his own life? Look at it from a reality standpoint. What would have the other disciples have done if Judas had not killed himself? Peter’s incident in the Garden of Gesemmene(sp?) could give one a clear indication of what retribution the Apostles might have committed.

I say that because didn’t Jesus say something after about how he would be in hell? Maybe not in these words - I can’t even remember what He said but to get to hell it has to be mortal

Exactly which of the 10 commandments did Judas break?

Speculation…what if Jesus was implying for Judas to take his own life? Look at it from a reality standpoint. What would have the other disciples have done if Judas had not killed himself?

Likewise speculation, and a bad one to boot. Suicide is sin, and for you to speculate that Jesus is telling Judas that he should kill himself is paramount to stating that Jesus demands sinful acts of people. That’s blasphemy, in case you were wondering.

complicity in the murder of Jesus, in other words, Deicide (one of the worst of all possible sins)

**Suicide is sin? I think one of our 2nd canon books make suicide okay if it for the greater good of mankind. **

Well if Judas is guilty of murder by complicity then God is more guilty of the murder of Jesus since God is the one who ultimately orchestrated the whole thing?

Mortal sin.

Judas of his own free will chose to betray Christ. He chose money over the Lord.

He then compounded his sin by not repenting and committing suicide, damning himself in the process.

I think you’ve been paying too much attention to the heretical Gnostic Gospel of Judas.

bump

Not sure if it is a sin, since it was planned by God himself, because Judas didnt have a choice not to betray our Lord.

Wonder what would have happened if Judas didnt betray Jesus and or Pontius Pilot didnt condemn him?
Jesus may have lived another 40-50 years?

WOW

If Judas had no choice, why did Christ condemn him by saying it would be better had he not been born?

What does that say about Christ’s justice, if Judas only did as he was bid?

Yes someone else who see that Judas did not have a choice. Just like in Ezekeil when God will cause(or did cause) Gog to attack Israel. The same principle applies. God does at time remove one’s free will so that God’s Will shall be done.

And on occasion God will indirectly change the direction of one’s free will.

Joseph was going to put away Mary.
That was Joseph’s free will.
God’s Will was going to be thwarted.
So God sent a messenger.
You know the outcome.

That’s a very good example. Ditto Abraham and Isaac—what was the point if Abraham didn’t have free will?

The implication of God using us as puppets is that everything becomes a puppet show.

Was it really condemnation? I could say to a blind person begging for alms “It would be betteer had you not been born, at least you would not have to rely upon the charity of others” Is that condemnation?

Or I coud say to the Parents of the victims of 9/11, “It would have been better if you had not begatted this child that is now dead”

Is that condemnation?

What does that say about Christ’s justice, if Judas only did as he was bid?

What does it say about God’s justice if Gog is only doing the bidding of God when it attacks Israel?

Do you think the context of Christ’s statement regarding Judas was that of a blind person begging for alms being seen?

Does Christ say that of anyone besides Judas?

Does the fact that Christ will judge all of us factor in not at all to intepreting this?

What does it say about God’s justice if Gog is only doing the bidding of God when it attacks Israel?

Does Gog possess free will?

Is God responsible for our sins, or are we?

What does Abraham have to do about it?

The implication of God using us as puppets is that everything becomes a puppet show.

God does use us as puppets. He is God. He can do as he wishes. God answers to no one. I would suggest a detail study of the OT and see where God causes things to happen. The OT is full of puppeteering. God causing Gog to attack Israel is just explicit declaration. Daniels time of captivity was a result of God sending in the enemy to teach his chosen people a lesson.

Does Gog possess free will?

That is the question. If Gog does not have free will, then how can any of us have free will?

The whole point of the episode was that Abraham was willing to sacrifice Isaac for God. If Abraham was a puppet, this was a puppet show. Who was the audience?

God does use us as puppets. He is God. He can do as he wishes. God answers to no one. I would suggest a detail study of the OT and see where God causes things to happen. The OT is full of puppeteering. God causing Gog to attack Israel is just explicit declaration. Daniels time of captivity was a result of God sending in the enemy to teach his chosen people a lesson.

I have read the Old Testament, thank you. You might note that my question regarding Abraham and Isaac is from the OT.

God clearly can do as He wishes, which is what omnipotence means. To believe that omnipotence means everything is caused by God, however, is to err mightily.

Is God responsible for pain and suffering?

Is God responsible for our sins?

Perhaps you see what Erasmus was talking about when he corrected Martin Luther on this erroneous line of reasoning from omnipotence, which boils down to “because one can doesn’t mean one does.”

If we are all slaves, why are we wasting time on this board?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.