Judas at the Last Supper: The Bible's Revelation about Receiving the Eucharist Unworthily

see www.catholicexchange.com/what-judas-teaches-us-about-the-eucharist/

I bet Judas didn’t say, “Lord, I am not worthy to receive you under my roof, but only say the word and my servant shall be healed.”

I have heard before that what Judas took was not consecrated bread, and that he left before the others received the consecrated bread and wine.

Any thought on this?

Sts Cyril of Alexandria, Jerome, and John Chrysostom teach that Judas did partake of the Eucharist.

“In haste he [Judas] hurries away in obedience to the will of Satan, and like one stung and goaded on to madness he rushes from the house. He sees nothing that can overcome his love of gain, and, marvellous though it is, we shall find him in no way benefited by the gift from Christ, of course because of his irrepressible inclination for getting money.” - St Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Gospel of John
Source: tertullian.org/fathers/cyril_on_john_09_book9.htm

“Ah! how great is the blindness of the traitor [Judas]! Even partaking of the mysteries, he remained the same; and admitted to the most holy table, he changed not. And this Luke shows by saying, that after this Satan entered into him, not as despising the Lord’s body, but thenceforth laughing to scorn the traitor’s shamelessness.” - St John Chrysostom, Homilies on Matthew, Homily LXXXII
Source: ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf110.iii.LXXVIII.html

“In the Christian mysteries there is one means of sanctification for the master and the servant, the noble and the low-born, for the king and his soldiers, and yet, that which is one varies according to the merits of those who receive it. “Whosoever shall eat or drink unworthily shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.” Does it follow that because Judas drank of the same cup as the rest of the apostles, that he and they are of equal merit?” - St Jerome, Against Jovianus, Book II
Source: ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf206.vi.vi.II.html

[emphasis mine]

I appreciate the quotes.

:thumbsup: All three saints that I quoted are doctors of the Catholic Church. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.