"Judas;" Bishop Fulton J. Sheen's Deep Account of the Man Who Betrayed Christ

see romancatholicman.com/judas-by-archbishop-fulton-sheen/
Looking with insight and attention at the passages in the Gospels which speak of Judas, Bishop Sheen speaks of Judas’ defrayal.
Bishop Sheen, who may be beatified, is known for his writing and preaching and still is much admired today. He died in 1979.

He’s comparing priests who change their vocation to…Judas?
That’s pretty harsh…and unfair, I’d say.

Some scholars believe–and I’m apt to agree–that Judas tells the soldiers where Jesus is because he thought Jesus was committing a crime, because he thought Jesus was causing too much trouble and Judas was doing what he thought was right.

If Judas had done it for greed of money, why would he then give the money back and kill himself? That makes no sense.
Especially if he thought Jesus was God.

Gnostic texts, of course, praise Judas for his integral role in the whole salvation story.
Sheen here even points out that Jesus tells him to do it…“and do it quickly.”

So Jesus knew it had to be done.
So…to call Judas a traitor doesn’t seem quite right.

And to compare priests who don’t feel this vocation to Judas doesn’t seem right, either.
(Would a church want a priest to stay if he did not believe anymore? What for?).

Perhaps you should rewrite the Bible .:rolleyes:

Daddygirl, If he thought Jesus was God, or merely a great prophet, Judas would never have thought that betraying him was a good thing to do.

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen is to be commended for his awesome gift of spiritual insight.

I await the day when the spotlight of canonization is upon him.

[quote=DaddyGirl]Some scholars believe–and I’m apt to agree–that Judas tells the soldiers where Jesus is because he thought Jesus was committing a crime, because he thought Jesus was causing too much trouble and Judas was doing what he thought was right.
[/quote]

Right… :rolleyes:

Those are probably the same scholars that say Jesus was an inspirational teacher (however deluded.)

Today there are “scholars” that will say anything shocking and contrary to Faith because they themselves have no Faith. They have looked at the Scriptures through the hermeneutic of suspicion, and deny there is anything supernatural about them. :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.