Judas' greatest crime

According to St. Leo, Judas’ greatest crime was not having denied his Master, but having resisted the call of that loving word, Friend. May we never resist the grace of God. God bless you.

Usually, when we think of the seven deadly sins, we think of pride as the deadliest, but in this case, at least superficially, it appears that one of the lesser of the seven deadly sins was at the root of it, namely, greed.
[LIST=1]
*]pride
*]envy
*]gluttony
*]lust
*]anger
*]greed
*]sloth
[/LIST]I suppose they are all deadly though . . .

Indeed his greed was great, but it was forgivable. The problem with Judas was that he, right, resisted the word “Friend,” that is to say (in my interpretation), he never could believe that God would love him after what he had done.

Judas could have crucified Jesus himself, fifty times, and been forgiven. If only he believed that he could be forgiven. But for his part, he denied the love that God had for him, and thought it was impossible to be forgiven. This denial of the infiniteness of God’s love, and the total forgiveness that God offers, was Judas’ demise.

:thumbsup:

I think it was neither pride nor greed. Rather unbelief. Here he had witnessed and followed and been taught by God, yet when He had realized what Satan had wrought through him, he saw no choice but to kill himself. He didn’t trust in God to fix things, rather he relied on his own hand to relieve him of the pain.

I have always thought his worst sin was the despair that led him to commit suicide and remove the possibility of penance and thus redemption. The sorrow of the world and all that.

The sin of Judas’ despair is a direct result of the sin of his having resisted the call of that loving word, Friend. These two sins of his are intertwined. And in both of these sins we have a denial of God’s mercy on Judas’ part. I think it is right to say that worst than Judas’ sin of despair is his sin of having denied his call of that loving word, Friend (a call to love and repentance), seeing our Lord’s mercy was clearly evident to him at that moment and seeing it was a rejection of God’s mercy, which ultimately caused his sin of despair. God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.