Judas Iscariot

I did not know of the best place to post this thread so I am giving this a shot.

Recently, the Holy Spirit has been making me think about Judas Iscariot. I have been getting this notion that just as Mary’s “Fiat” was pivotal in Salvation History so also was Judas’ betrayal in being the catalyst for our Lord to take our sins to the cross.

I have been told that God did not rely on Judas to do this, but He could have made salvation occur in any way…which has truth to it.

This is kind of beside the point though. I have been wondering more and more of Judas’ place in eternity. We see (before he had access to the Sacrament of Reconciliation…seemingly) that he showed perfect contrition when he returned the money and knew truly what he had done was wrong. (I know the suicide thing throws a wrench in on all this.)

My point is:
Should we be praying to figure this out? Should we be praying for his soul if it is possibly still trapped in Purgatory? Because if he is in Heaven he needs to be rightfully canonized with the other Apostles. This may be risky, but should we be experimenting with asking for his intercession?

Basically…if he is in Heaven I would like it to be known especially so he would quit being the “bad guy”.

Any thoughts would be great…thanks!

Matthew 14:21 - “21”: The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had never been born.

Jesus would know Judas’ fate.

Judas most certainly did not perform a perfect act of contrition:

1491 The sacrament of Penance is a whole consisting in three actions of the penitent and the priest’s absolution. The penitent’s acts are repentance, confession or disclosure of sins to the priest, and the intention to make reparation and do works of reparation.

1492 Repentance (also called contrition) must be inspired by motives that arise from faith. If repentance arises from love of charity for God, it is called “perfect” contrition; if it is founded on other motives, it is called “imperfect.”

Judas is most surely in hell. Jesus said it would be better for him never to have been born. This has to mean he is in hell. If he were in heaven it would be better for him to be born since he would be in absolute bliss enjoying the vision of God. You should not pray for him–his fate is sealed.

Although the Church NEVER assumes a soul is in hell, because we don’t really know what’s in a person’s heart the moment of their death and we surely don’t know how God will judge another person, Jesus did tell Judas Iscariot that “it would be better if you had never been born.” This, to me, means only one thing. Keep in mind, however, that Judas’s sin was not his betrayal of Jesus. As you said, he truly showed sorrow for that act. His sin was despair. He did not trust in God’s mercy. Unlike Peter, who trusted in God’s mercy and sought forgiveness after denying our Lord 3 times. If Judas had also sought God’s mercy as Peter did, I think the outcome would have been very different. Remember, despair is a sin and it’s the human weakness that Satan most certainly preys on.

I guess you all are right.

Judas did have at least three years of being with Christ to know how to live…if being personally instructed by God Himself was not enough to put one on the right path, I guess Judas truly did not want to live for God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.