"Judas" issue result of mis-translation

Imagine this: The secular press (The Times of London) misinterpreted, mistranslated, and subsequently misrepresented a story originally published in Italy (in La Stampa) alleging The Vatican was re-examining the Judas issue. Turns out, the discussion was on the “Gospel of Judas” and not the traitorous Apostle. Here is the link:

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2006/01/mea-culpa-why-it-is-important-to.html

Right now, there are many non-Catholics who feel foolish after having placed somuch stock in the London newspaper’s story.

For those who responded tomy initial thread about the “Judas” issue,I want to say “thank you.” Your feedback and opinions helped me present the Catholic side of which we are now vindicated.

Thank you!

Thanks for following up on this story. So often people throw out half-baked rumors and innuendos and, even when they turn out to be unfounded, never follow-up with the facts.

[quote=jim1130]Imagine this: The secular press (The Times of London) misinterpreted, mistranslated, and subsequently misrepresented a story originally published in Italy (in La Stampa) alleging The Vatican was re-examining the Judas issue. Turns out, the discussion was on the “Gospel of Judas” and not the traitorous Apostle. Here is the link:

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2006/01/mea-culpa-why-it-is-important-to.html

Right now, there are many non-Catholics who feel foolish after having placed somuch stock in the London newspaper’s story.

For those who responded tomy initial thread about the “Judas” issue,I want to say “thank you.” Your feedback and opinions helped me present the Catholic side of which we are now vindicated.
[/quote]

The link does not open properly, so it is impossible to see what was wrong.

Have you any links to to the article in “La Stampa” ? ##

[quote=Gottle of Geer]## The link does not open properly, so it is impossible to see what was wrong.

Have you any links to to the article in “La Stampa” ? ##
[/quote]

Here is a link to the original article in Italian.

lastampa.it/search/albicerca/ng_articolo.asp?IDarticolo=1217600&sezione=Cultura#

[quote=jim1130]Imagine this: The secular press (The Times of London) misinterpreted, mistranslated, and subsequently misrepresented a story originally published in Italy (in La Stampa) alleging The Vatican was re-examining the Judas issue.
[/quote]

Never trust the London Times on religion. They had a story a few years ago about the Plymouth Brethren which referred to a PB “priest.” The PB’s don’t believe in ordained ministry even in the traditional Protestant sense!

Edwin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.