Judas received the Eucharist

I Corinthians 11 26-30

This passage speaks of receiving to yourself damnation for receiving the body of Christ while you are unworthy.
I think that it is easy to find loop holes and through these loops ease our conscience so that we can justify taking the Eucharist. Any thoughts on: Jesus giving Judas the bread knowing the condition of his heart?
As a new convert,
I went to confession an hour or two early , thinking that the lines would be soooo long, there were only 5 other people there and they were old people.
Either they feel they are so close to death that they need to keep clean, or the whole idea is [dated]…

Hibblyn

Regarding the Eucharist, not the bread as you erroneously called it, Jesus can do whatever He d*** well pleases with it.

Regarding confession… dated? Please. God never changes. People do. We move further away from Him. He does not move away from us. Kudos to you for going to confession. I go as often as I can. Keep it up and pray that those around you learn from your actions.

Christianity has never been in sync with the world! Look at the heresies, they all were much more in sync and split off because the Church wouldn’t go with the times!

My thoughts are: Jesus, knowing the betrayal of Judas heart, and our free will, which gives each of us personal responsibility for our soul, gave the Eucharist to Judas knowing that to he was in fact condemning his own soul.
I would think that for a loving Savior that was pretty heart rending.
Do you think that we are not serious enough about the Eucharist or is there a lack of knowledge even in "cradle Catholic’s?"
Hibblyn

Based on the biblical accounts, we can not say definitively that Judas Iscariot received the Eucharist at the Last Supper. The Synoptic Gospels and the Pauline account to not specify the point at which Judas left the Last Supper, and the Gospel of John, which does specify this, does not specify at what point in the Last Supper the Institution of the first Eucharist occurred.

The only point of correlation we can make between these differing accounts is the incident of the “sharing from the dish” between Jesus and Judas which is mentioned in John 13:21-26:

When he had said this, Jesus was deeply troubled and testified, “Amen, amen, I say to you, one of you will betray me.” The disciples looked at one another, at a loss as to whom he meant. One of his disciples, the one whom Jesus loved, 8 was reclining at Jesus’ side. So Simon Peter nodded to him to find out whom he meant. He leaned back against Jesus’ chest and said to him, “Master, who is it?” Jesus answered, “It is the one to whom I hand the morsel 9 after I have dipped it.” So he dipped the morsel and (took it and) handed it to Judas, son of Simon the Iscariot.

The account continues:

John 13:27-30:

After he took the morsel, Satan entered him. So Jesus said to him, “What you are going to do, do quickly.” (Now) none of those reclining at table realized why he said this to him. Some thought that since Judas kept the money bag, Jesus had told him, “Buy what we need for the feast,” or to give something to the poor. So he took the morsel and left at once. And it was night.

John continues his Last Supper narrative without mentioning the words of the Instution the other Evangelists used, “take and eat, take and drink.”, but he does continue on for four more chapters, so it is apparent that a lot happened at the Last Supper after Judas Iscariot had left.

The dipping in the dish is also mentioned in Matthew 26:23 and Mark 14:20. Judas’ departure is not mentioned here in these accounts, but according to John we can presume that he “left at once” following this. Only After this are the words of the Instution of the First Eucharist mentioned in Matthew 26:26-28 and Mark 14:22-24.

So it is quite reasonable to infer from this that Judas Iscariot may not have actually received the Eucharist from Jesus. One objection to this interpretation is that that Matthew and Mark may not have been recording the last Supper account chronologically, and their words “while they were eating” may be taken to mean that the Institution of the Eucharist may have taken place at any time during the Supper, possibly before the “sharing from the dish” while Judas Iscariot was still present. Others disagree with this, and while numerous opinions concerning this exist, I am not aware of any definitive statement from the Church at this time stating that Judas was or was not present to receive the Eucharist at the Last Supper.

Thank you for this factually supported response. I heard this from my Priest. He was using this to explain that we all have to stand before God and give an account for our own soul, and that no one, not even a Priest can decide if we should we or should we not receive the Eucharist.
What are your thoughts on I Corinthians 11: 24-34 ?
Again thank you,
Hibblyn

Jesus did not give Judas communion.

John 13:21-30 tells us that Judas left after Jesus condemns him.

Matthew 26:25-26 tells us that he condemns Judas immediately before giving communion to the disciples.

There are extremely disproportionately small confessional lines compared to the communion line. I Guess most Catholics must be very, very holy to rarely need confession. :shrug:

Most Catholics are very, very poorly catechized and do not recognize their need or the grace availble in the sacrament.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.