Judas

I’m not sure if this question fits here or not. If not, I apologize. Here is my question. Was Judas forgiven?

I would point towards scripture, Jesus says speaking of the one who would betray Him:

“It would be better had he not have been born”

So I would say that scripture clearly says that he wasn’t forgiven, that’s not to say that he couldn’t have seeked forgiveness & received it, then again he didn’t seek it & so didn’t receive it.
Hope this helps.

That doesn’t necessarily mean he wasn’t forgiven. Jesus could have been remarking on the utter misery that would befall Judas when he figured out what he had done, which indeed caused Judas to hang himself later.
We also have no idea if Judas sought forgiveness. Perhaps in his last speck of life he repented and begged for forgiveness, which God would have granted. We will only find out when and if we join God in the hereafter. I’m personally hoping we will see Judas there.

When you look at the Biblical passage noted in one post things look bleak for Judas.

Matthew 26:24New International Version (NIV)

***The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”

**I was curious and looked this up in the Catholic Encyclopedia and found this:

**“And though the circumstances of the death of the traitor give too much reason to fear the worst, the Sacred Text does not distinctly reject the possibility of real repentance. And Origen strangely supposed that Judas hanged himself in order to seek Christ in the other world and ask His pardon (In Matt., tract. xxxv).” **

newadvent.org/cathen/08539a.htm

This is a topic of great interest for me because wee see in Luke 22 that a demon entered Judas. How could someone be responsible when they are possessed by a demon?

**Luke 22:1-6New International Version (NIV)
Judas Agrees to Betray Jesus

22Now the Festival of Unleavened Bread, called the Passover, was approaching, 2and the chief priests and the teachers of the law were looking for some way to get rid of Jesus, for they were afraid of the people. 3Then Satan entered Judas, called Iscariot, one of the Twelve**. 4And Judas went to the chief priests and the officers of the temple guard and discussed with them how he might betray Jesus. 5They were delighted and agreed to give him money. 6He consented, and watched for an opportunity to hand Jesus over to them when no crowd was present.

Couldn’t we all say that in some respect, Satan enters into each of us every time we sin against God? Yet, we can be forgiven over and over again if we truly are repentant.

In order to know whether Judas was forgiven , we would first need to know what was in his heart at the moment he died . . . and that is something which we simply do not know.

The words of Pope Benedict XVI in an excerpt from the 2006 divinemercy.org article entitled Christ’s Betrayal and Divine Mercy :

The betrayal of Jesus Himself by Judas Iscariot — one of the Master’s 12 apostles — reveals that God is “rich in mercy and forgiveness.”

In fact, the Catholic Church does not teach that even Judas is damned to hell. “Even though he went to hang himself (cf. Mt. 27:5), it is not up to us to judge his gesture, substituting ourselves for the infinitely merciful and just God.”

These were among the astounding statements that Pope Benedict XVI made to the Church and the world during his general audience in St. Peter’s Square on Oct. 18.

:hmmm:

The fact that Christ Himself said of Judas, "But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born” and that he hanged himself over his guilt suggests that things do not appear very good for him.

Your post makes me think of those anti-Christians who, while trying to use the Church’s teachings against herself, suggest that Hitler could have repented before he blew his brains out and is now enjoying the celestial paradise.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.