Jude 1:9

Hope someone can answer a question for me. I referred to the argument between archangel Michael & the devil one day (from Jude 1:9) and my pastor corrected me and said I was reading an old version bible or something to that effect and that that story was later disregarded by the Church. Yet looking at the Vatican website bible, its still there and its on my lighthouse catholic media bible.

So I’m trying to understand what my pastor may have been talking about.

Thanks

Gloria

It is in my Ignatius Study Bible and in my husbands KJV…

It’s still in the letter of Jude – there’s no cutting it out. :slight_smile: But IIRC, the source itself was never actually canonized by the Church or by the pre-Christian Jewish authorities. That doesn’t mean they were wrong or not useful for instruction, else Jude would not have mentioned the incident. Just that we’re not bound to them in any manner in the same way that we are to Scripture.

Not to mention that since they weren’t canonized, they may not have survived in a complete or authentic form (as they weren’t prioritized for copying/preservation), so there’s likely nothing still extant for the Church to give an opinion on anyway. :wink:

Jude 1:9 is a reference to the Jewish apocryphal writing titled “The Assumption of Moses” or “The Testament of Moses”. This work would have been known to the early Jews. One third of that document has been lost and it is believed that this is the portion which contained the named angel disputing with Satan over Moses body.

The full text is at earlyjewishwritings.com/testmoses.html

The wikipedia article explains the relationship between The Assumption of Moses and the Epistle of Jude. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assumption_of_Moses

-Tim-

=Glo918;11762708]Hope someone can answer a question for me. I referred to the argument between archangel Michael & the devil one day (from Jude 1:9) and my pastor corrected me and said I was reading an old version bible or something to that effect and that that story was later disregarded by the Church. Yet looking at the Vatican website bible, its still there and its on my lighthouse catholic media bible.

So I’m trying to understand what my pastor may have been talking about.

Thanks

Gloria

From the Douay Bible:
" When Michael the archangel, disputing with the devil, contended about the body of Moses, he durst not bring against him the judgment of railing speech, but said: The Lord command thee. [10] But these men blaspheme whatever things they know not: and what things soever they naturally know, like dumb beasts, in these they are corrupted."

This is not a doctrinal issue so I wound’t make a big deal out of it.:slight_smile:

There are “more MODERN” bibles that are used these day’s.

But stick with what you have: OLD IS GOOD:thumbsup:

Isn’t that kind of picking and chosing? Either it’s all inspired or none of it is:confused:

That part of Jude has never been excluded so I am not sure why your pastor said that. But that part of Jude is reference to the Assumption of Moses which is apocryphal. But oftentimes extra-Biblical apocryphal works usually mix real events with legend. So no doubt what Jude referenced from that apocryphal work was real since Jude was guided by the Holy Spirit m

It’s possible that your pastor forgot about the verse from Jude. Even priests make mistakes sometimes. Or it’s possible that he thought you were referring to the apocryphal source rather than the verse from Jude itself. Whatever the case, it was probably a miscommunication and your pastor is not saying that Jude 1:9 doesn’t count.

It is there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.