Jude 3 proves Sola Scriptura?

Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

A friend of mine said this verse proves scrpture alone. Any suggestions?

Jude 3 says nothing whatsoever concerning sola scriptura. There are better verses that Protestants use to support the notion, but there is is no point in providing any amunition for an errant notion. Have your friend explain why we are told that we must hold to traditions whether they are oral or written. Give them these verses to study and reflect on.

Tradition
2Thess 2:15
So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by our letter.

2 Tim 2:2
and what you have heard from me through many witnesses entrust to faithful people who will be able to teach others as well.

1 Cor 11:2
I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions just as I handed them on to you.

1 Thess 2:13
We also constantly give thanks to God for this, that when you received the word of God that you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word but as what it really is, God’s word, which is also at work in you believers.

Acts 2:42
They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.

Also challenge them with this question: “For the Christian, what is the pillar and bulwark of the truth?” When they answer that it is scripture/the bible, show them 1 Tim 3:15 which says:

" if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth."

I hope this helps

How does your friend figure? In the New American Bible this reads “Beloved, although I was making every effort to write to you about our common salvation, I now feel a need to write to encourage you to contend for the faith that was once for all handed down to the holy ones.”

Jude felt the need to write another letter of encouragement. He doesn’t specify how that faith was handed down either, only that it was.

He doesn’t specify how that faith was handed down either, only that it was.

Exactly, nor does he make the claim that ALL of that faith is contained in what has been written.

Peace be with you!

Robert Sungenis once said (in a debate with James White) that whatever verse they [Protestants] cite to “prove” sola scriptura automatically disproves it. You see, by citing a Scripture passage to try to prove sola scriptura, they are forgetting that that passage was WRITTEN AFTER THE APOSTLES HAD TAUGHT THE FIRST CHRISTIANS. Paul wrote his epistles in what, the 50s AD? so Paul would have been writing this with no way for the Christians to practice sola scriptura!!! Not only that, but that letter was written specifically to JUDE, not to all Christians. It was certainly inspired Scripture, but Paul did not intend for Jude to simply place copies of his letter into the hands of all Christians.

In Christ,
Rand

According to my Strong’s Greek Lexicon, the word “delivered” (paradidomi) in Jude 3 means “delivered verbally”. In 1 Corinthians 15:3, St. Paul uses the same word to refer to his previous instructions to the Corinthians. So, Jude 3 confirms only that the faith was delivered verbally once for all by the Apostles. Other Scripture passages indicate that not everything touching the faith was written down. (see 1 Corinthians 11:34; 2 Thessalonians 2:15; 2 John 1:12; 3 John 1:13)

Also, even if the faith was also delivered entirely in written form among the various writings of the apostles, there are indications that St. Paul wrote more letters containing additional instructions on the faith than are contained in our present New Testament, including an earlier letter to the Corinthians cited in 1 Corinthians and apparantly a letter written to the Church at Laodicea. (see 1 Corinthians 5:9, 11; 7:1; Colossians 4:16) Thus, any understanding of the Christian faith based solely on Sacred Scripture as we know it today is necessarily incomplete.

You might also get into the issue of the canon.

How does your friend know Jude is scripture? Where does the Bible say Jude is scripture? Doesn’t he first have to assume it’s scripture before he can even use it to support his position?

simply ask your friend if we are only to use oral tradition? Then ask him when each book of the NT was written?

Thanks for the responses. I ask because my friend and I have been debating this point for about a week or so, and he’s running out of arguments. This was his latest idea. I thought I would ask for your input, and it was very good. This will hopefully be the final blow to his argument.

[quote=Todd Easton]… there are indications that St. Paul wrote more letters containing additional instructions on the faith than are contained in our present New Testament …
[/quote]

Including this one:

St Paul’s 3rd Letter to the Corinthians
The Way Named Straight
Tarsus, Province of Syria

My Dear Corinthians:

I, Paul, by the will of God an Apostle, having written twice to you on several matters of great importance now find myself compelled to write a third time.

I’m mad as hell, and I’m not going to take it any more.

SHAPE UP!

Paul, by the grace of God,
Apostle to the Gentiles

It might be fun, since this is a friend, to just say with a straight face “So what? Jude isn’t scripture.” Then let him prove to you through sola scriptura that it is. Any other scripture he brings up, just repeat “So what, that writing isn’t scripture.” Tell him you’re just trying to see the big picture from his point of view. :slight_smile:

In using any NT Scripture to make a point, the person doing so is, in effect, accepting that the Catholic Church had the authority to determine which of the many ‘books’ belong in the Bible and which to reject. in the 4th century,

The canon of Scripture was determined at the synod of Rome in 382 AD, under Pope Damasus I.

The letter of Jude was written BY Jude, not TO Jude. Jude writes “To those who have been called, who are loved by God the Father and kept by Jesus Christ” (verse 1), thus it is indeed a letter to all Christians. That is why this epistle is called one of the “catholic” (i.e. universal, to everybody) epistles.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.