Jude & James- Jesus Brothers?

I have heard many times that James & Jude are Jesus’s step-brothers or half brothers. Does anyone know who Jude was and who James was from the Book of James?

Good link at CA

catholic.com/library/bad_aramaic_made_easy.asp

Another good link at CA

catholic.com/library/Mary_Ever_Virgin.asp

“Brothers” was used to mean kinsmen.

Jude was definitely a cousin. James I don’t know about.

New Advent’s entry: Bretheren of the Lord

The decisive proof, however, is that the father and mother of at least two of these “brethren” are known to us. James and Joseph, or Joses, are, as we have seen, the sons of Alpheus, or Clopas, and of Mary, the sister of Mary the Mother of Jesus, and all agree that if these are not brothers of the Saviour, the others are not. This last argument disposes also of the theory that the “brethren” of the Lord were the sons of St. Joseph by a former marriage. They are then neither the brothers nor the step-brothers of the Lord. James, Joseph, and Jude are undoubtedly His cousins. If Simon is the same as the Symeon of Hegesippus, he also is a cousin, since this writer expressly states that he was the son of Clopas the uncle of the Lord, and the latter’s cousin.

In other words, Scripture is explicit that two of these identified with the word brother are in fact cousins. All we have to do is show one really and the burden of proof is then on the detractors to show an explicit passage that one of the brothers is *in utero * from Mary. Since there aren’t any, the teaching of perpetual virginity stands.

Scott

The definitive answer from John Martignoni

Bretheren of the Lord
Mark 6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas here with us?”

Matthew 13:55 Is not this the carpenter’s son?  Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brethren James and Joseph and Simon?

So, Jesus has a brother named James, and

Gal 1:18, 19 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas, and remained with him fifteen days.  But I saw none of the other apostles except James the Lord's brother. (In what I am writing to you before God, I do not lie!)

So the James of Mark 6:3 and Mat 13:55 is not only Jesus’ “brother,” but an apostle as well, which we learned in Gal 1:19.

But Luke 6:13 And when it was day, he called his disciples, and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles; Simon, whom he named Peter, and Andrew his brother, and James and John, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas and James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon, who was called the Zealot, and Jude the son of James and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.

So, James the son of Alphaeus is not a true Brother of the lord.

Mark 3:16 ,17 Simon whom he surnamed Peter; James the son of Zebedee and John the brother of James, whom he surnamed Boanerges, that is Sons of Thunder:…

So, “James the Lord’s brother,” an apostle, cannot be a blood brother of Jesus, because he is either the son of Alphaeus or Zebedee. He could be a cousin or other relative or just a close friend, but he is not a son of Mary.
And, if James is not a blood brother of Jesus, then Jude or Judas, who is also called a brother of Jesus in Mark 6:3 is not either: Jude 1 identifies him as James’ brother.

So if “James the brother of the Lord” and “ ”… Joses and Judas…” cannot be real brothers of Jesus (unless Scripture contradicts itself), then there is no reason to believe any other “brother” of the Lord or his “sisters” are true siblings either.

So, instead of Mark 6:3 being a proof test to disprove th perpetual virginity of Mary, it is actually a strong argument for the Catholic teaching.

[quote=Strider]The definitive answer from John Martignoni

Bretheren of the Lord
Mark 6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas here with us?”

Matthew 13:55 Is not this the carpenter’s son?  Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brethren James and Joseph and Simon?

So, Jesus has a brother named James, and

Gal 1:18, 19 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas, and remained with him fifteen days.  But I saw none of the other apostles except James the Lord's brother. (In what I am writing to you before God, I do not lie!)

So the James of Mark 6:3 and Mat 13:55 is not only Jesus’ “brother,” but an apostle as well, which we learned in Gal 1:19.

But Luke 6:13 And when it was day, he called his disciples, and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles; Simon, whom he named Peter, and Andrew his brother, and James and John, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas and James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon, who was called the Zealot, and Jude the son of James and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.

So, James the son of Alphaeus is not a true Brother of the lord.

Mark 3:16 ,17 Simon whom he surnamed Peter; James the son of Zebedee and John the brother of James, whom he surnamed Boanerges, that is Sons of Thunder:…

So, “James the Lord’s brother,” an apostle, cannot be a blood brother of Jesus, because he is either the son of Alphaeus or Zebedee. He could be a cousin or other relative or just a close friend, but he is not a son of Mary.
And, if James is not a blood brother of Jesus, then Jude or Judas, who is also called a brother of Jesus in Mark 6:3 is not either: Jude 1 identifies him as James’ brother.

So if “James the brother of the Lord” and “ ”… Joses and Judas…” cannot be real brothers of Jesus (unless Scripture contradicts itself), then there is no reason to believe any other “brother” of the Lord or his “sisters” are true siblings either.

So, instead of Mark 6:3 being a proof test to disprove th perpetual virginity of Mary, it is actually a strong argument for the Catholic teaching.
[/quote]

John also likes to mention that in the ‘upper room’ when the Holy Spirit comes on Pentecost Sunday…(listen for it THIS Sunday), that the Apostles, some of the woman includeing His Mother, and the ‘brothers of Jesus’ were there totally 120 people.
Ok, 12 Apostles (minue Judas Iscariot) makes 11, Mother Mary and the women, about 4, and that leaves about 105 people.
Can ALL these 105 be the “biological brothers of Jesus!”. John states that Our Blessed Mary would be in perpetual Labor! :eek: Mary had ONE child, Jesus, not 105 children!

John’s comment makes Perfect sense and logical too!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.