Judge Orders La. School District to Stop Bible Giveaways

The liberals are at it again. There is no such thing as a “First Amendment separation of Church and state”!
foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352237,00.html

In Christ,
Rand

Perhps the people that actually were in on the formation of the USA might shed some insight into this:

The right to freedom being the gift of the Almighty…The rights of the colonists as Christians…may be best understood by reading and carefully studying the institutions of The Great Law Giver and Head of the Christian Church, which are to be found clearly written and promulgated in the New Testament. - The Rights of the Colonists §II (1772), Samuel Adams

I have long been of opinion that the evidence of the truth of Christianity requires only to be carefully examined to produce conviction in candid minds. - John Jay’s letter to Rev. Uzal Ogden, on February 14, 1796

Let me live according to those holy rules which thou hast this day prescribed in thy holy word; make me to know what is acceptable in thy holy word; make me to know what is acceptable in thy sight, and therein to delight, open the eyes of my understanding, and help me thoroughly to examine myself concerning my knowledge, faith and repentance, increase my faith, and direct me to the true object Jesus Christ the way, the truth and the life, bless O Lord, all the people of this land, from the highest to the lowest, particularly those whom thou has appointed to rule over us in church & state. continue thy goodness to me this night. These weak petitions I humbly implore thee to hear accept and ans. for the sake of thy Dear Son Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.- written Prayers of Geo. Washington found in his private collections in April 1891

You do well to wish to learn our arts and our ways of life and above all, the religion of Jesus Christ. These will make you a greater and happier people than you are. Congress will do everything they can to assist you in this wise intention. - Geo. Washington in his Speech to Delaware Indian Chiefs on May 12, 1779

The ironic thing is, this could have been done legally. If the school district allows people to distribute literature on school property, all they had to do was let the Gideons do it themselves. If they stay out of it, then no law is broken.

On the other hand, if they don’t allow that for any group that asks, then they can’t allow it for a specific few.

It’s not controversial. A similar situation exists with religious clubs. If they allow any and all religions to use school facilities, it’s perfectly legal, so long as they don’t promote such things.

Just a question. Would those of you who support the “Bible give away” also support a “Book of Mormon give away” or a “Holy Qu’ran give away”…or a Wiccan “Book of Shadows” give away?

Yes. I also support that parents speak to their children about all the mentioned and the others not mentioned. A Give Away is not forced. The people are free to accept the freebees or not.

The quotes I used were more on the ideas of the supposed separation of Church and State as it’s thought of today. I especially liked Geo. Washington’s words about Congress helping with Christian evangelization. Imagine if any presidential candidate said that today. LOL!

Yes, the implied promotion seems to have been the issue. This is a pretty borderline case. It wouldn’t surprise me if it gets overturned, but if not there’s no major detrimental effect either. The Gideons can just give the Bibles away outside school entrances like they did when I was in school, same as was done for the Zebco fishing reels.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.