Judge: Quebec Government ‘Totalitarian’ in Imposing Relativism Course

Judge: Quebec Government ‘Totalitarian’ in Imposing Relativism Course

TODAY'S HEADLINES | SEND NEWS TIPS | DONATE
SHARE: E-MAIL PRINT

By Patrick B. Craine

MONTREAL, Quebec, June 21, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) – The Quebec Ministry of Education’s decision to impose their course in moral and religious relativism on Montreal’s Loyola High School assumed “a totalitarian character essentially equivalent to Galileo's being ordered by the Inquisition to deny the Copernican universe," said the Quebec Superior Court in a strongly-worded ruling released Friday.

Justice Gérard Dugré ruled that the Ministry’s attempt to force Loyola, a private Catholic boys’ school in the Jesuit tradition, to teach the strictly secular course, entitled Ethics and Religious Culture (ERC), violated their freedom of religion under the Quebec Charter of Rights.

The ERC program was mandated at the beginning of the 2008-2009 school year for all students, and spans from grade one to the end of high school. Claiming to take a “neutral” stance, the curriculum covers a spectrum of world religions, including Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and aboriginal spirituality, as well as pseudo-religions such as atheism.

It has been criticized for its approach to moral issues, teaching even at the earliest grades, for instance, that homosexuality is a normal choice for family life.

Loyola has taught world religions for decades, so when the highly-controversial course was first imposed, they sought permission from the Ministry to teach the mandatory curriculum from a Catholic perspective. But the Ministry refused, stating that Loyola’s course was not equivalent because it was faith-based rather than secular, and thus manifested a religious bias.
lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/jun/10062110.html

Inch by excruciating inch we in Canada are fighting our way back into the public square and exposing secular sectarian government totalitarianismSt Joseph pray for our Country.:thumbsup:

So sad.

A Quebec judge rules in favour of a Catholic school?

I'm confused. Does Quebec have a second April fool's day in June? It's hard to believe a Quebec court would rule in favour of religion. We'll might have to classify this as a miracle. :p

[quote="curlycool89, post:4, topic:202771"]
A Quebec judge rules in favour of a Catholic school?

I'm confused. Does Quebec have a second April fool's day in June? It's hard to believe a Quebec court would rule in favour of religion. We'll might have to classify this as a miracle. :p

[/quote]

St Brother Andre's 3rd miracle????????????????????????????????

I just re-read the article and realize that the situation isn't actually sad, but good. The judge ruled in favor of the Catholic school. Excellent!

[quote="ready, post:6, topic:202771"]
I just re-read the article and realize that the situation isn't actually sad, but good. The judge ruled in favor of the Catholic school. Excellent!

[/quote]

It is absolutely shocking but encouraging,the culture of Life is winning victory after victory.Catholics in Canada are finding their voices again and pushing back against leftist imperialism.Look at those young French Heros in France who prevented their Cathedral from profanation.This is part of the greater culture war that the leftist totalitarianists assumed they had won three decades ago.They're favorite rallying cry is the "issue(pick one)is settled"!

No,it ain't baby not by a country kilometre.As George Costanza's Father, Frank used to say"I'm(we're)back ,baby!I'm back"!

[quote="Soutane, post:7, topic:202771"]
It is absolutely shocking but encouraging,the culture of Life is winning victory after victory.Catholics in Canada are finding their voices again and pushing back against leftist imperialism.Look at those young French Heros in France who prevented their Cathedral from profanation.This is part of the greater culture war that the leftist totalitarianists assumed they had won three decades ago.They're favorite rallying cry is the "issue(pick one)is settled"!

No,it ain't baby not by a country kilometre.As George Costanza's Father, Frank used to say"I'm(we're)back ,baby!I'm back"!

[/quote]

Yes.:D

[quote="Soutane, post:7, topic:202771"]

[/quote]

Amen, and amen! :thumbsup: Especially your 'Seinfeld' quote! :D Fits perfectly!

Those idiots in the Quebec legislature who promulgate laws like this ought to take a look-see on the outside of their Parliament building. Many-if not all-the statues of personages from their past history are of CATHOLIC PEOPLE...SAINTS, EVEN! But of course, they're so steeped in their relativism that they don't even bother to look, much less read, their own history! Catholicism is as much a part of Quebec's past as the air they breathe! And the explorers, missionaries, and hard-working religious educators who built up Quebec are probably looking down from heaven and saying, 'NO MORE, YOU GUYS IN POLITICS! YOU WILL NOT-REPEAT, NOT-DESTROY WHAT WE WORKED FOR WITH OUR BLOOD, TEARS AND SWEAT FOR THE SOULS OF THOSE WE SERVED!'

There...had my 'rant for the day'....:o :mad:

[quote="Soutane, post:5, topic:202771"]

[/quote]

Ha, I love it! And I'm sure that St. Andre himself would give a wry smile to that!

Good one, my Canadian friend and brother! And this from one 'south of the border'!

Saint Andre certainly has his work cut out for him if Quebec is ever going to become Catholic again. The Church is almost completely destroyed there, with mass attendance below 5 per cent. The Church in Quebec is almost going to have to be built again from the ground up.

While the ruling sounds like the right decision (the sticking point would be if the school is publicly funded), the battle isn't over.

The Quebec government will appeal a Superior Court ruling granting a Jesuit Catholic school the right to opt out of a controversial ethics and morality course, says Premier Jean Charest.

The premier's opinion was seconded by Parti Québécois Leader Pauline Marois.

"It is up to parents and the church to transmit faith. Schools must transmit knowledge," she said.

"If Loyola wants to teach religion outside of the curriculum, while teaching the ethics and religious culture course — no problem."

cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/06/21/loyola-ethics-course.html

[quote="PadraigPearce, post:11, topic:202771"]
Saint Andre certainly has his work cut out for him if Quebec is ever going to become Catholic again. The Church is almost completely destroyed there, with mass attendance below 5 per cent. The Church in Quebec is almost going to have to be built again from the ground up.

[/quote]

You're so right, Padraig! And I'm from 'south of the border' in the USA!

When I visited Quebec in 1994, the first time since 1971, I was very distressed when I heard of the state of the Church from a Quebecois priest-friend I knew at the time. He said that a lot of convents and monasteries had closed because of the lack of vocations.

I remember one convent of Franciscan nuns that was located near the Battlefields Park in Quebec City [a/k/a The Plains of Abraham]. It became an apartment house. But of course one could still see the outside of the former chapel.

Yes, your beloved Saint Andre WILL have to ask St. Joseph for BIG TIME HELP to get the Church in Quebec back on its feet again!

[quote="Dale_M, post:12, topic:202771"]
While the ruling sounds like the right decision (the sticking point would be if the school is publicly funded), the battle isn't over.

cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/06/21/loyola-ethics-course.html

[/quote]

That's not surprising. It's S.O.P. for the government to appeal anytime they get ruled against.

When my son and I were at 2010 March for Life in Ottawa I was astounded that at least half of the signs were en Francais and that at least half of the participants were Quebecois and YOUNG Quebecois.The Church there will have to be built from the ground up and it will be done by these youngsters,this Catholic Remnant who will do it.

What I saw on that day belied all the nonsense one hears from the secular media and governments.For the FIRST time there were stories coast to coast in the media and the hysteria of the Blocheads and Quebec legislature was a balm to my soul.They are frightened that something is happening.When a Quebec journalist wishes a slow and painful death on Cardinal Ouellette because he simply stated the teachings of the Catholic Church you gotta know the tide is shifting-these secular ninnies are panicking-just read Heather Mallick's book about the Christian Cabal in Ottawa.

They are startled and panicked because they thought the debate(on everything)had been settled but Christian Canada and Jewish Canada and Muslim Canada is waking up and they are ANGRY at what has happened to our beautiful nation over the past 30 years

.I do not think it is uncoincidental to the combat role Canada has been involved in for the past 8 or so years in Afghanistan.Canadian Pride and Patriotism is coming back and it bewilders the peaceniks who would sacrifice an entire nation to the Satanic Taliban.It is like a perfect storm of events have coincided to wake this tiny giant up.Another one of our troopers was killed there today,please pray his soul and his family.I thank all of my American cousins who stand by us day after day.

Please pray to our Patron Saint St Joseph for Canada and Canadians.The Catholic and non-Catholic Christians on this continent need to stick together.

[quote="ready, post:6, topic:202771"]

[/quote]

It has become a reflex by now. ;)
Waht is sad is that the judges ruling is so unusual that we can't believe our lying eyes when we see something like this in print.

[quote="Soutane, post:5, topic:202771"]

[/quote]

Well, we are coming up on the feast of St Jean-Baptiste.

Also, this from the Montreal Gazette:

Yesterday [June 22] was the 236th anniversary of the Quebec Act, which guaranteed Roman Catholics in Quebec their religious rights. Now we have a Quebec politician of such a low calibre as Charest who is bent on removing those rights.

So the judge's sense of timing could not have been better.

Charest is Catholic-of sorts

[quote="Darryl1958, post:16, topic:202771"]
It has become a reflex by now. ;)
Waht is sad is that the judges ruling is so unusual that we can't believe our lying eyes when we see something like this in print.

[/quote]

I hope the Catholic school wins again when this case goes to court for the second time.

[quote="Soutane, post:15, topic:202771"]
When my son and I were at 2010 March for Life in Ottawa I was astounded that at least half of the signs were en Francais and that at least half of the participants were Quebecois and YOUNG Quebecois.The Church there will have to be built from the ground up and it will be done by these youngsters,this Catholic Remnant who will do it.

What I saw on that day belied all the nonsense one hears from the secular media and governments.For the FIRST time there were stories coast to coast in the media and the hysteria of the Blocheads and Quebec legislature was a balm to my soul.They are frightened that something is happening.When a Quebec journalist wishes a slow and painful death on Cardinal Ouellette because he simply stated the teachings of the Catholic Church you gotta know the tide is shifting-these secular ninnies are panicking-just read Heather Mallick's book about the Christian Cabal in Ottawa.

They are startled and panicked because they thought the debate(on everything)had been settled but Christian Canada and Jewish Canada and Muslim Canada is waking up and they are ANGRY at what has happened to our beautiful nation over the past 30 years

.I do not think it is uncoincidental to the combat role Canada has been involved in for the past 8 or so years in Afghanistan.Canadian Pride and Patriotism is coming back and it bewilders the peaceniks who would sacrifice an entire nation to the Satanic Taliban.It is like a perfect storm of events have coincided to wake this tiny giant up.Another one of our troopers was killed there today,please pray his soul and his family.I thank all of my American cousins who stand by us day after day.

Please pray to our Patron Saint St Joseph for Canada and Canadians.The Catholic and non-Catholic Christians on this continent need to stick together.

[/quote]

It's true. This is an exciting time to live here.

I think what it probably is is that in the past generation the Catholics In Name Only stayed in the Church and tried to mould it to their liking, while the current generation is more likely to leave the Church and find another one (one that "fits them"). That's what these people have learned to do with everything else in their life, so why not religion?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.