Judge Upholds Same-Sex Marriage Ban in Puerto Rico

A federal judge on Tuesday upheld Puerto Rico’s same-sex marriage ban, ruling that last year’s landmark Supreme Court decision on marriage rights doesn’t necessarily apply to the unincorporated territory.

The U.S. Supreme Court’s June decision in Obergefell v. Hodges requires all states to issue marriage licenses to gay couples and to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other jurisdictions.

But in his decision on Tuesday, U.S. District Court Judge Juan Pérez-Giménez said that the Obergefell ruling doesn’t necessarily include Puerto Rico.

nbcnews.com/news/us-news/judge-upholds-same-sex-marriage-ban-puerto-rico-n534556

It will be interesting to see if the higher courts uphold that logic. Somehow I doubt it holds up.

Me too.

Your comment implies that the Courts might actually be logical :stuck_out_tongue:

Remember, as implied in the majority opinion of Obergefell v. Hodges, any view against gay “marriage” is necessarily irrational and bigoted. We must all be dumb, hateful people :rolleyes:

Christi pax,

Lucretius

As others have said, I wonder if the higher courts will act on this.

SCOTUSblog has a post that examines the issue.

I guess Obama will have to go down there and give one of his speeches and take along his rainbow colored decorations from the White House.

“… Marriage, in their view, is by its nature a gender-differentiated union of man and woman. This view long has been held—and continues to be held—in good faith by reasonable and sincere people here and throughout the world.” - Kennedy

That doesn’t seem to view people who oppose gay marriage as irrational and bigoted. In fact, quite the opposite. It calls such persons “reasonable and sincere.”

I think it goes to show how unhinged the anti-equality fringe has become when they’re prepared to summarily declare that the people of U.S. territories have no rights to due process or equal protection.

Indeed. No arguments here.

Name-calling to marginalize people; I’m sure they are not a minority in Puerto Rico.

Infertile Joke Same-Sex Marriages will never be what Marriage is.

A judge denying people their human rights. I expect he wanted his 10 minutes of fame.

When the vote went to the people, overwhelmingly, the people voted against same sex marriage; calling people the fringe is unfounded.

My goodness, what ever gave the people and the legislators of Puerto Rico the idea that they could legislate their own laws? Did they think they were a democracy? Did they not realize that whatever the people or the legislators decide, it is nine people in Washington DC who will make the rules?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.