Judgement Day: When is it

Hi,

First of all. This is not a thread about private revelations from mystics or anything like that, so please don’t post those. I’m scrupulous.

I know “we can not know the hour or the day” of when Judgement Day comes, but are there “hints” that we can know of? I’m talking about real, tangible, scriptural hints. Not conspiracy theories or private revelations from saints.

So in other words, is the time of Judgement so unknown to us, it could actually happen in the next two seconds, etc.?..or can we expect some things to happen first?

Hi, Ben!

Jesus clearly explained that it is not given to man to know about that Day.

He even suggested signs… but He insisted that these are but signs of the prelude (as with a woman’s labor pain–some go into labor quickly… others may take long hours of arduous and intense discomfort before the blessed event takes place).

However, what Jesus Taught as important was not “knowing” but the state in which the Believers would find themselves at the event: ‘Be alert, for that Day will come upon you as a thief in the night.’

Maran atha!

Angel

What must yet happen before Judgment Day is discussed in the Catechism of the Catholic Church in the section on “The glorious advent of Christ, the hope of Israel” and “The Church’s ultimate trial,” paragraphs 673-677.

Basically, we are still waiting for the widespread recognition of Jesus Christ by the Jews as the Messiah and the widespread persecution/martyrdom of Christians.

No way to know.
We’re only to concern ourselves with being ready.

If the end date was well known, people would ‘go nuts’ as it were until just before the end times, then ‘repent’ - personally, I don’t think that would work, but try telling all the doomers that…

Live like its right around the corner, the world will be better for it.

It’s like being in the military or working in a restaurant kitchen. You know that you can be inspected at any time, so you try to follow best practices every day, as a habit.

You aren’t called to do the impossible. But you do what you can reasonably do, every day.

I believe Jesus said that only The Father knows.

This is my understanding of the events… This was largely compiled from the book
Fundamentals of Catholic dogma by Ott.

Jesus will come again
(Matthew 16:27 ,mark 8:38, Luke 9:26)

Signs of his second coming
** Things to look for *****

• Preaching of the gospel to the whole world (Matthew 24:14 , Mark 13:10)

• “All Israel” will recognize Christ ( CCC 674, Romans 11:25-32 )

• a great apostasy ( 2 Thessalonians 2:3 , Matthew 24:4 - 6 )

• AntiChrist will appear ( 2 Thessalonians 2:3 , Didache chapter 16 )

• Tribulations prior to Christ’s return … Wars, Famines, Christian Persecution etc. ( Matthew 24:29, Matthew 24:7 )

The Last Day***

A sign will appear in the Sky, ( Matthew 24:30 )
we are unsure what the sign is but it is a general belief that it is a Cross or a chi-rho…

Then Jesus Comes in Glory to Judge the living and the dead
AKA
** The General Judgment **

Matthew 25:31 - 46
revelation 20:11 - 15

• The Dead will rise in bodily form and be judged ( 1 Thessalonians 4:16 )

• Then the living will be judged (1 Thessalonians 4:17 , )

During this time of Judgment, the conduct of each person and the secrets of their hearts will be brought to light (CCC 678 , Luke 12:2 - 3 , John 3:20 -21 )

• Earth is destroyed ( 2 Peter 3:10 )

• Earth is restored to a new earth ( 2 Peter 3:13 )

We all get our judgement day - the day you die - it doesn’t have to be the end of the world.

Prepare for that rather than the end of the world

“Watch”

Yes, only the father knows the exact day/ hour, but we can know the ‘season’.

However if the verse about it coming at a time when NO ONE expects it, that would seem to imply the season will not match what the bible warns of, so…?

Hi!
…consider too that if you loaned me money and told me not to worry about repaying it… well, this built-in redemption would most likely cause me to misuse any moneys that I should dedicate to the outstanding debt… I can just imagine the hordes of “penitents” that would hit the local parishes as the end-time hour approaches (much like the hoards of “Believers”) that run into the Church after fear of imminent death/destruction hits the news… once the threat dissipates so does their faith, er fear.

…also, imagine the millions of people who would die in a sinful state because they waited “for just the right time” to Confess because the end of times was hundreds/thousands of years away…

Believers could fall into the fallacy of not having to hope nor depend upon Christ because the “knowledge” of the end was there to supply them with confidence (‘not my time, yet’).

Maran atha!

Angel

When you die is a particular judgment day. The final , when Jesus returns, is whenever God wills it. People have been trying to figure that one out for 2000 years. Personally, I am glad he has not come back yet, or you or I might not even exist. Say, if he came back in 90ad then we might not even be here.

Only the Father knows the day and the hour (Matt 24:36) .He tells us 'Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.” Luke 21:36).

But he also said that though he would come to the world as a thief in the night, we should not be caught out but be ready:

’ But you, brothers, are not in the darkness so that this day should overtake you like a thief. For you are all sons of the light and sons of the day; we do not belong to the night or to the darkness. So then, let us not sleep as the others do, but let us remain awake and sober.’ 1 Thess 5:5

Many of the signs Jesus discussed have already been fulfilled.

Wars and rumours of wars, kingdom against Kingdom; famines, pestilences, earthquakes (there were 6 major earthquakes recorded in 1901 rising each year since then to 28 in 2014 source: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - and these are just significant earthquakes); these are described by Jesus as the beginnings of the sorrows, like birth pangs, ie getting stronger and more frequent. Exactly what is happening!

Then there are the deceivers who claim to follow or even be The Christ; yep, they are here too;

After nearly two millennia the twelve tribes of Israel are back in the Promised Land and the nation of Israel has been reborn. This fulfils numerous prophecies: Isaiah 66:8, Isaiah 11:10-12, Ezekiel 36:22-28, Ezekiel 37:12, Ezekiel 38:8, Jeremiah 30:3-4, Zechariah 10:10, and others.

Increased wickedness and loss of love, no need for explanation there!

Technology is in place which would allow ‘the mark of the beast’ to control buying and selling;
Technology would also allow the whole world to see the 2 witnesses of Revelation via TV or the internet ( impossible just 50 years ago);

the gospel preached in all the nations; again, the internet has reached everywhere as well as missionaries;

the persecution and martyrdom of Christians . Thousands of Christians are currently dying for their faith with more and more suffering each successive year. Currently a Christian is dying for their faith every 5 minutes and over 200 million Christians are under threat because of their faith in 105 out of the 190 nations on earth.

Worldwide moral conditions are now the same as they were in the days of Noah as Jesus said they would be in Matthew 24:37 and Luke 17:26. The three specific things the Bible says about the immorality of the world at the time of Noah were that there was genetic manipulation (Genesis 6:4), violence everywhere (Genesis 6:11), and every human thought was evil continually (Genesis 6:5).

Jesus said He would not visit Israel again until its people recognized that He came from God (Matthew 23:39). The early Church was primarily Gentile because the Jewish people largely rejected Christ as their Messiah in fulfillment of Romans 11:25 and Acts 15:14-16. But in just the last few decades there has been an explosion of faith among the Jews with thousands turning to Him. There are some 300,000 Messianic Jews now, and hundreds of thousands more are turning to God through Messianic ministries such as Jews for Jesus, Chosen People Ministries, IMetMessiah.com, and others. Truly there are now hundreds of thousands of Jewish people who declare of Jesus Christ: “Blessed is He who come in the name of the LORD.”

Israel is ready to build the Third Temple with just a moment’s notice and it has taken many, many years to get to this point. The architectural plans are finished, actual descendants of Aaron have been identified for priestly service and trained, a temple service training school has already been established, the temple’s altar has been rebuilt, the temple’s cornerstone has been cut and is ready for installation, and the priestly garments and artefacts are ready for use;

Apostasy in the church; a great falling away; people who want their ears tickled by teachers of their own liking; immorality abounds;

So taking all these things together, I would say we should look up, for our redemption draws nigh. No, we do not know the day or the hour, but we can see the signs of the times, as Jesus told us we ought to

‘.But you, brothers, are not in the darkness so that this day should overtake you like a thief.’

'So also, when you see all these things, know that He is near, at the very door.'Matt 24

How long does it take to open that door?

Maranatha!

Finding the pearl of great price, by Origen of Alexandria (185-254 AD)

"All who listen to the depths of the gospel and live it so completely that none of it remains veiled from them care very little about whether the end of the world will come suddenly and all at once or gradually and little by little. Instead, they bear in mind only that each individual’s end or death will arrive on a day and hour unknown to him and that upon each one of us ‘the day of the Lord will come like a thief’ (1 Thessalonians 5:2). It is important therefore to be vigilant, whether in the evening (that is, in one’s youth) or in the middle of the night (that is, at human life’s darkest hour) or when the cock crows (at full maturity) or in the morning (when one is well advanced in old age).
“When God the Word comes and brings an end to the progress of this life, he will gather up the one who gave ‘no sleep to his eyes nor slumber to his eyelids’ (Psalm 132:4) and kept the commandment of the One who said, ‘Be vigilant at all times’ (Luke 21:36). …But I know another kind of end for the righteous person who is able to say along with the apostle, ‘Far be it from me to glory except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom the world is crucified to me and I to the world’ (Galatians 6:14). In a certain sense, the end of the world has already come for the person to whom the world is crucified. And to one who is dead to worldly things the day of the Lord has already arrived, for the Son of man comes to the soul of the one who no longer lives for sin or for the world.” (excerpt Commentary on Matthew 56)

From:dailyscripture.servantsoftheword.org/readings/2016/nov27.htm

Hi!
…not might… but wouldn’t–Jesus told the incredulous Sadducees that at the Resurrection people would not get married because they will be as angels… biological procreation would cease… the Day and Hour is veiled so that we may not fall into falsehood through arrogance, overindulgence, self-righteousness, and conceit–God’s Wisdom offers us only hints about the end so that we remain in Faith, Hope, and Fidelity:

25 For I would not have you ignorant, brethren, of this mystery, (lest you should be wise in your own conceits), that blindness in part has happened in Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles should come in. (Romans 11:25)

In God’s Time comes the End… in His Wisdom God does not broach the subject so that man may be Saved and not lost:

8 But of this one thing be not ignorant, my beloved, that one day with the Lord is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord delayeth not his promise, as some imagine, but dealeth patiently for your sake, not willing that any should perish, but that all should return to penance. (2 St. Peter 3:8-9)

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi!

…interesting post…

…yet, I must caution that the Spirit of God does not depend upon technology… Jesus made Himself known to over five hundred at the same time (this of course did get any further explanation, but it could be surmised that they were not together in a single place as it would have garnered the attention of those who were seeking to apprehend Jesus’ followers); then there are the other various examples (Jesus materializing and dematerializing); we also have the sign of the “Pierced One” who will be seen by all, including those who pierced Him–clearly transcendental.

…also, the New Jerusalem would not have need of a Temple made by human hands since God, the Father, and the Lamb shall be the Temple:

22 And I saw no temple therein. For the Lord God Almighty is the temple thereof, and the Lamb. (Apocalypse 21:22)

Maran atha!

Angel

** The Lord delayeth not his promise, as some imagine, but dealeth patiently for your sake, not willing that any should perish, but that all should return to penance. **

If this is accurate then Jesus will never return, there will always be a certain number of people on ‘that side of the fence’.

For some never

John 5:22 “The Father judges no one but has given all judgement to the Son”

John 12:47 “I came not to judge the world, but to save the world”

John 5:24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears my word and believes him who sent me, has eternal life; he does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.”

I personally believe that Judgement Day has already started. People are already being separated into two distinct groups - the goats and the sheep as prophesied by Jesus.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.