Judgement day

Hebrews 9:27
And as it is appointed to men once to die, but after this the judgment:
How long after dying is the Judgement? Immediate or eventually perhaps 1000 years or so?
The creed teaches us that "He will come to judge the living and the dead". Does this mean that some will be judged twice?

[quote="Weissystems, post:1, topic:331520"]
How long after dying is the Judgement? Immediate or eventually perhaps 1000 years or so?
The creed teaches us that "He will come to judge the living and the dead". Does this mean that some will be judged twice?

[/quote]

I think we are judged once. How this works I don't know. But remember that John says he saw the souls under the Altar in Heaven who had come out of the great tribulation. Well these are the souls of those who have lived in the time of fallen man. Under the persecution of Satan and have remained faithful. They are below the Altar, or that is the Altar in Heaven is between them and God. The Throne os highest, the Altar is lower those who have come out of the tribulation and are gathered around the throne before the Altar are under the Altar.

So clearly the souls who have been saved by Christ are in Heaven, and yet the Bible speaks of one judgement.

I think the best way to understand this is to remember that we do everything in linear time sensitive fashion whereas God is timeless and so a thing which we expect and wait for from our perspective is already accomplished from His. Remember Jesus says all who are given Him, He will not lose one. Well how can He know this unless it is already done in some way.

And so comes our comfort. To know that as we cling to Christ He is holding to us more tightly than ever we could hold to Him.

God Bless

There are actually two judgments: your individual judgment the day you die, and the day of the final judgment in which the entire humanity will be judged. I am not that well versed on details but I know there are two judgments, and there are other people in this forum that are more versed that I am sure they will give you more details.

Check this out: catholicity.com/baltimore-catechism/lesson14.html

Basically, there are 2 judgments. First, the particular judgment right after death where we are placed in either heaven, hell, or purgatory. Then, there is the general judgment. Here, our sentence of heaven or hell is reaffirmed in front of the entire human race and our good and evil works are made known. It is like the final closing ceremony in my mind. It is sort of like God’s final act. This is at the end of the world when we get our bodies back

I know this is probably a pretty dumb question, especially after all the years I have been a Catholic, but at the final judgement, what will happen on the earth? Will the earth cease to exist after this? Will the earth return to its perfect condition as it was supposed to? Will all the saved people live in heaven? I was never really clear about what really happens at the end concerning the earth and the people still alive at that time. Perhaps some of you learned ones out there can enlighten me on something I should have known fifty years ago.

[quote="lakotak, post:5, topic:331520"]
I know this is probably a pretty dumb question, especially after all the years I have been a Catholic, but at the final judgement, what will happen on the earth? Will the earth cease to exist after this? Will the earth return to its perfect condition as it was supposed to? Will all the saved people live in heaven? I was never really clear about what really happens at the end concerning the earth and the people still alive at that time. Perhaps some of you learned ones out there can enlighten me on something I should have known fifty years ago.

[/quote]

I think Heaven will come down to Earth and the Garden will be restored and the blessed will dwell forever with God the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit there.

[quote="bogeydogg, post:6, topic:331520"]
I think Heaven will come down to Earth and the Garden will be restored and the blessed will dwell forever with God the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit there.

[/quote]

The garden of Eden and heaven are not the same thing however

[quote="Weissystems, post:1, topic:331520"]

[/quote]

There are two judgements that occur. One happens when the soul separates from the body and is known as the particular judgment (newadvent.org/cathen/08550a.htm. This occurs when you pass away. The body of everyone returns to dust and the soul alone is judged and goes to it's proper place.

However not everyone faces this judgment since some will be alive at the Second Coming of Christ. At that time there will be a general judgment newadvent.org/cathen/08552a.htm]. The Lord will resurrect the dead and judgement will occur to the reunified being (body and soul). Everyone will go through this judgement, including the fallen angels.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.