Judgement Day

If one were to pass on in a state of pure grace, the soul ascends to its place in heaven. On the final judgement day however, when the resurection of the body occurs, it is taught that again we will face final judgment. I am a little confused over this and I guess my question is, do we ascend to heaven (or hell) upon our death or on the day of final judgement (Christs return).

Although I have read the Catechism section which discussed this topic several times, I am still confused and hoped that someone could provide a brief answer which might make it more clear. Thanks!

When we die, we face the particular judgment, and we go to heaven, to purgatory, or to hell.

At the last judgment, there will be no souls left in purgatory-all will be, or will be about to be, released to heaven. No soul in purgatory will go to hell, ever.

So at the last judgment we will know not just our fate, but the fate of all people, and why judgment was passed on each, so that we will fully know God’s justice and mercy and His plan for all.

Before the last judgment, there will be souls in heaven. Those souls will still be in heaven after the last judgment. There will be souls in hell, and they will still be in hell after the last judgment. There will be souls in purgatory, but after the last judgment, there will be no more purgatory so all the souls there will go to heaven. And there are souls on earth until the last judgment, but after the last judgment, there will be a ‘new heaven and a new earth’ and all the living will either ascend to heaven or descend to hell.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.