Judging others

Hello all! I need help with understanding the proper distinction of judging others in an immoral way versus proper judgement of others. Basically the heart of the issue is when do we need to speak up about the sins of others and when do we need to pray for them instead?

I ask this because clearly John the Baptist judged Herod in a proper way but pointing out that his relationship with his brother’s wife was unlawful. However, there are numerous incidents in the New testament where Jesus criticizes those who judge others. For instance the woman caught in adultery the people who caught her were basically told not to judge. I understand the distinction in my heart but am having trouble with it in my head. And I think knowing it in my head will help me to live more boldly the Gospel. Thank you.

It is helpful to understand that only God is judge. Only he knows our hearts and minds. And therefore only he can know the state of someone’s soul. We can’t even judge ourselves since we don’t even really know ourselves like God does. If we can’t even properly judge ourselves then how could we properly judge others? We can judge an act objectively as being wrong, but what we can not do is judge the person who committed that act for we do not know them since we are not God. We don’t know their heart and mind as God does and so would do a disservice to them to judge them ourselves. So we have to differentiate between judging actions and judging persons. It’s much easier for us to judge an action as being either good or bad than it is to judge a person as either good or bad. A person is much more complicated. We want to simplify things to our level. But God says just don’t do it. Let me be the judge of persons.

“But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. 4For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me. 5Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.” (1 Cor 4:3-5)

Judge others?

Depends on what one means.

We follow the “judge not” that Jesus spoke of.

But such does not mean not judging actions – from an *objective *point of view.

And it does not preclude fraternal correction vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/messages/lent/documents/hf_ben-xvi_mes_20111103_lent-2012_en.html

This is something we’ve talked about before and here’s a link to a post that might help you.
Re: Today’s reading “Not to Judge” or can we?

They weren’t planning on wagging their finger at her in private, they were going to stone her, presumably, in public. I don’t know whether or not the intention of the stoning was supposed to result in her death.

judging situations is as you said, john the Baptist saying “herod, youre relationship tih your wife is unlawful”

however, he didn’t say “herod, you’re going to hell because that’s what you deserve for what you’re doing. and you will never change, you were just born a monster”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.