"judging", "passing judgement", "don't judge", whats the deal?

Honestly I am quite confused on the subject. I know several times in the NT Jesus tells us to not judge, but then again we are commanded to “instruct the ignorant” and “correct the sinner” (dont quote me). In todays secular culture the greatest sin seems to be judging. We here it all the time in songs and movies “dont judge me”. But in order to correct the sinner dont we have to first make a judgement that they are doing something sinful? I heard a famous priest say in one of his homilies that the real meaning of “Judge not lest ye be judged” is “comdemn not lest ye be condemned”. So what is the real deal with judging and our role as Christians in the world? Is there different types of judging? Has the term and meaning been twisted out of context in our modern culture?

Jacob,
I’ve always thought of this as referring to judging someone’s faith. In our world we must always judge things: the actions of oursleves and even others. I’ll leave the judgement of justification and salvation up to God.

Jon

Hi Jacob,

We can rate someone’s actions, but we cannot qualify their intentions. This is what is meant by “judging”. You can say that a serial murderer acted badly, but you cannot say that he/she is a bad person. Only God can say that.

Does that answer your question ?

Verbum

Good answer.

We always have to judge actions – if we didn’t, we’d be cooperating in evil. But we cannot say a person who does wrong is irretrievably condemned for his actions. Nor can we pretend to be better than him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.